In the previous decade it was Cafe Coco, then a series of forgettable bars, the last of which was Habitat. Now this small building looks like it will be the home of something I will want to visit – Madras Brothers Tamil eatery and bar.

madras-bros Madras Brothers Tamil eatery coming soon to Smith St

Madras Brothers Tamil eatery coming soon to Smith St

6 thoughts on “Madras Brothers Tamil eatery coming soon to Smith St

• 13 June 2017 at 2:48 pm

It opens tonight (Tues 13 June). The quirky sample menu looks good. Might give it a try on the way home from the Tuesday beer tasting at Forester’s.

• 14 June 2017 at 8:49 am

Did you try it Peter? I’m pretty excited it’s open. Might head there tonight to check it out.

• 15 June 2017 at 9:34 am

We did Sam. It is still getting settled, with a few things on the menu (goat curry for one) not yet available. There’s a limited number of mains, but the focus is on Chennai street food. Most of that part of the menu comes across as Indian dude food. Most things were tasty enough but whether it will win the following required for longevity on competitive Smith St remains to be seen. I wouldn’t be in a big hurry to rush back.

• 15 June 2017 at 9:42 am

I tried this place last night and definitely worth going. They have traditional street snacks such as Vadai (fresh and authentic), Fish Cutlets (not so much street food but I’ll give them a pass for that.). Also the idli was fluffy and freshly made. I haven’t found idli (besides at Tamil Feasts) in inner city Melbourne.

The only downside was the hoppers, Pavlovs Duck do a better hopper, I think the madras bros batter hadn’t fermented for long enough. It was their second night, so hopefully in the coming weeks they can perfect that.

Some of the street snacks are also served at Pavlovs, but the menus diverge on traditional Sri Lankan and traditional Tamil.

I didn’t try any of the curries but will go back to try those at a later date. Overall I think it’s a good addition to Smith St and I hope they will be successful.

• 19 June 2017 at 7:31 pm

GOAT CURRY + CHAI MARTINI

😙👌enough said

• 20 June 2017 at 2:15 pm

We dined at Madras Brothers on Smith Street this past week and were really happy with the food and atmosphere. The selection is fresh and flavorsome with street foods dishes like spicy, crispy, chicken tenderloins and peanuts with spices, red onion, and lime were all delicious as well as the goat curry. I had a Chai Martini which is worth going back for. The interior is warm and modern with a nod towards traditional Indian culture. The courtyard at the back is magical and I imagine will be a big hit in Summer. Friendly and knowledgeable staff topped off the experience.