Horse on Heels has been mysteriously closed since 1 May. What is it you ask? A cafe on Rose St next to the market that specialises in waffles. But of course you say, how could I have missed it? Actually it’s easy to miss. It doesn’t have the best visibility from the street and on quiet weekdays it’s empty, which is probably why it has closed. I get the feeling that this, like other short-lived places Something More and Cleaver and Quill, was someone’s hobby in search of a business plan.

The photo is from June last year, when they had just opened, so this means they have lasted almost a whole year. Given that their website is one of the worst I have seen and has no menu, which is the worst offences a cafe website can commit, I suspect the owner doesn’t do enough thinking. Or marketing. Wrong concept, wrong place. I’d be surprised if they reopen, but the ways of the small business owner are strange indeed…

horse-on-heels Horse on Heels has closed

Horse on Heels has closed

4 thoughts on “Horse on Heels has closed

• 27 May 2017 at 2:19 pm

It is a great space bit like Faradays Cage so hopefully something else opens up there worth visiting. I was never drawn to their waffle menu.

• 28 May 2017 at 11:18 pm

Their instagram profile still says reopening soon?

• 28 May 2017 at 11:40 pm

Closed for 28 days without explanation and no reopening date? I’m too cynical, having seen the lies businesses tell too many times, to believe it until I see it.

• 10 July 2017 at 11:54 am

Yes it had closed but a new cafe with a lot more selection than waffles has just opened up a week ago. We went in on Saturday after visiting the Rose Street Market and I must admit it was really good. The new owners seem lovely and very accommodating to all needs, nothing I requested was too much trouble and they have fresh almond milk . Its now called Fabrica Cafe, not too sure what the website looks like though.