When the long lived Mao’s closed I was disappointed to see something more amateurish and downmarket open in its place. 888 Sakura served Japanese and Malaysian food, which is not the most obvious combination. It is eclipsed in dubious fusion terms by the Indian / Hungarian restaurant Diamond in Clifton Hill, but I digress. Anyway, 888 Sakura lasted two years. It won’t be missed.

sakura-cupcakes 888 Sakura has closed

888 Sakura has closed

6 thoughts on “888 Sakura has closed

• 12 May 2017 at 9:49 pm

A new fitout under way. Hopefully not more burgers or pizza.

• 7 June 2017 at 8:23 am

Bugger..it’s a generic Vietnamese chain restaurant called Madam Saigon. Last night it was empty and a guy was standing in the door trying to wave customers down. Six months max?

• 7 June 2017 at 6:26 pm

It’s a chain? Judging by the way it came together it looks like a small independent. I agree the vibe is not good.

• 8 June 2017 at 8:13 am

Well, I’m presuming that the founder of the Singapore based company of the same name, who found her inspiration in Melbourne Vietnamese restaurants, has decided to haul the coal to Newcastle.. I could be wrong (I was, once before).

• 10 June 2017 at 2:07 pm

I now don’t think it is part of a chain, as the logo and general branding of the place doesn’t match the Singapore business. (I’m not an intellectual property lawyer, so can’t comment on whether there are any issues with using the same name as the place in Singapore). I can’t see that the Fitzroy version has any social media presence yet. I’ll give their bahn mi a go next week, but it will have to be good to dethrone the wonderful crispy pork rolls produced by the Trang Bakery in Smith Streeet.

• 13 July 2017 at 8:15 pm

Just tried Madam Saigon in Bunswick Street, Fitzroy for the third time. I went looking for their social media presence to leave a rating (something I don’t normally do). I really don’t think it’s a chain. Lovely people running it. The best Pho broth, home made, no MSG. (Mao’s always made me itch!) The children loved their bahn mi, crispy pork rolls. Simple and great value offering. Defintely recommend. Think will become a local favourite!