Eighty-six denim has closed. I had hopes of something new and interesting coming to this corner on Brunswick St, but oh dear. Surely this is not going to work. An ice bar on Brunswick St? Such a tacky touristy thing is best located in Southbank, where it previously was prior to closing in dubious circumstances earlier this year. They were reportedly not paying the rent and were selling vouchers, which to me is a definite sign of immanent failure. It’s of no interest to locals, and I suspect it will fail within a year.

ice-bar another failure coming soon to Brunswick St

another failure coming soon to Brunswick St

4 thoughts on “another failure coming soon to Brunswick St

• 9 October 2015 at 7:26 am

Wasn’t there also one in the city? It just can’t work in somewhere as small as Melbourne and I’m stumped as to why the owners think plonking it in Fitzroy will do the trick.

I mean, you have to be willing to pay $30 and then leave in half an hour! The amount of people you’d need to get through the doors to make money is considerable. I’ve been to one in London and it was an interesting (and good fun I might add!) experience but once you’ve done it, you’re not going to do it again.

As you’d say Brian, next….

• 9 October 2015 at 9:03 am

I think one of the crucial factors that makes and entertainment venue work in an area like Fitzroy is that it must appeal to locals and tourists. Locals provide regular customers and tourists provide a constant stream of new customers (who are less likely to repeat). Something like this only appeals to one segment and thus it is harder for it to attract enough customers and be profitable.

• 22 October 2015 at 1:06 pm

As a holder of a gift voucher that never got used due to the previous crash-and-burn (yes it’s possible, even in an Ice Bar), I’ll definitely be dropping by… agree it is a weird location for it, and probably doomed…

• 18 January 2016 at 1:32 pm

The display …. speaks for itself really.