I’ve been thinking about signing up for a share car service, but I don’t know which one to join. Flexicar, Goget and Green Share Car all have cars located in Fitzroy. There’s also Car Next Door, where the business model is people provide their personal cars to the share pool so you can really be renting your neighbour’s car rather than one from a dedicated fleet. The City of Yarra supports car sharing services and you can read more information on their website.

I’m interested in issues like the comparative costs of the different companies, as their rates differ, and which is best for me. I’m not even sure what my usage might be as on the few times I need to use a car I can usually be flexible about my errand and borrow a friend’s. But that may not always be possible.

If you are a member of one of these services, please tell me why you chose the one you did. How convenient is it? Do you consider it good value for money? If anyone has been a member of more than one service, what differences were you aware of? What made you change? If like me you haven’t signed up yet, what makes you hesitate? For me, it’s the hassle of reading the fine print and working out which may suit me best. I haven’t been able to find any good comparative analysis.

who uses a car sharing service in Fitzroy?

7 thoughts on “who uses a car sharing service in Fitzroy?

• 19 August 2014 at 5:17 am

greenshare looks like good value for really casual usage.

• 19 August 2014 at 9:42 am

I was a member of Flexicar for a number of years. The main reason I choose them was that there was a car right near my house. At the time, there also wasn’t as much competition.

I was a member for 5 years. Totally happy with the service, the availability, the price. Pretty much everything. The only slight hassle was when I tried to book it at late notice and had to go accross town to find another one. But that’s my own fault for not booking in advance. I can definitely recommend them and would have happily remained a member if my partner didn’t now own a vehicle.

• 19 August 2014 at 12:04 pm

I joined Flexicar years ago as they had more cars locally.

I am on a “light” plan, and you only get 100km a day allocated before paying 30c per KM, so it can work out cheaper to hire a car at times. The “daily” rate starts at $70 and I can get a hire car with unlimited KMS for that (but that defeats the convenience factor).

I think you can have them overnight pretty cheaply,

Oh, and they are now owned by Hertz.

They are very convenient, though, with a variety of car sizes within a couple of hundred metres from home, depending on what you need

I notice GoGet have vans and utes, which would be very handy

• 19 August 2014 at 6:47 pm

i chose GoGet (last week) after having my car stolen, until I get around to buying a new one, because:
    – most basic usage plan is $50 flat fee, no monthly/yearly charges: cheapest option if I actually never use it
    – seemed to have best coverage in Fitzroy, including 3 or 4 locations within 10 mins walk
    – cars are at the same spot all the time so I can book what I want last minute and know where it is; flexicar seemed to rely on car I wanted being delivered to place I wanted(?)

my needs are specific: I need to be able to transport a kayak so can’t take any old car. And I’m really bad at planning ahead -:)

• 20 August 2014 at 12:32 am

Flexicar have fixed locations, but they rotate the cars around so you have to check when you book.

• 21 August 2014 at 1:13 pm

I use Car Next Door – I like it because there is no monthly fee (but I do pay a booking fee each time I use it, on top of usage charges). My main reason for joining was it utilises a neighbour’s car which appeals to my sense of community. It’s convenient and easy to use, cheaper than the others, and a good deal if you’re happy to drive a neighbour’s car!

• 22 August 2014 at 9:59 am

I’ve been a member of Flexicar for ages and I think they’re great. They have a variety of car sizes (even including dog-friendly cars if that’s what you need) and they’re all over so easy to find a car when you need one.
    As I rarely need to drive anywhere, I’m on the no-plan plan, which is entirely free. I only pay for what I use, so for me it actually works out cheaper than renting. The other good thing is that Flexicar allows you to use their vehicles even though you’re on P-plates, which is nice if you’ve just gotten your license and need to drive someplace.