Ziegote cafe on Johnston St had broken, or so I thought, the curse on one of the least successful business locations in Fitzroy. I’ve enjoyed my Indian spiced breakfasts there, and hoped it would last, but now it seems closed with a notice in the window stating ‘renovation in progress’ and that it will reopen with a Spanish menu. This suggests it’s unlikely to be run by the Ziegote owner and sadly I think his business has closed. ‘Ya está aquí’ means ‘she’s here now’ according to the translatorbot. Will the curse of this location ever be broken? It seems the curse has been broken!

ziegoteclosed2 what's happening at Ziegote cafe on Johnston St? ziegoteclosed1 what's happening at Ziegote cafe on Johnston St?

what’s happening at Ziegote cafe on Johnston St?

5 thoughts on “what’s happening at Ziegote cafe on Johnston St?

• 18 April 2013 at 4:41 pm

Sry buddy u got wrong msg, Ziegote is still here, I closed it to do some painting & to introduce new Spanish menu. Ya Esta Aqui= its here (menue is here)

I broke the curse already :) I took over the place 15 March 2012, opened doors on Anzac day 2012, we are celebrating our 1st birthday, please be my guest & I promise I will cook u ur favorite omlette. I also own Shellys cafe in Preston, Estd 2006 rated 95-97% on urbanspoon.com.

Thanx

• 18 April 2013 at 4:46 pm

Thanks for commenting – I look forward to trying the new menu.

• 11 August 2013 at 4:57 pm

i went to Ziegote cafe today with a friend of mine this morning on Sunday 11 August about 10.45 am sat down have been there before and had a sweet breakfast before it was really nice. Today I ordered the spanish omelette while my friend had the salmon. i asked for my coffee to be really hot as i like to drink my coffee hot well got my coffee in a mug how i like it but was not hot. halfway through eating my omelette i found a long black hair stuck in my food i called over the waiter that bough me my meal and i showed him and i told him that there is a hair in my food and that i can not eat the rest of that as it has put me off well he said to me and i quote “well its not mine because i am wearing a cap” and he said ‘if you don’t want to pay for it thats fine” he did not offer an apology or feel embarrassed. When i went to pay for my meal it cost me $21.00 for my friends breakfast and mine and his drink i said to the girl behind the counter that he did not have to talk to me like that and she did not offer me and apology either i still had to pay for my drinks and my friends breakfast will not be going back there again :(

• 27 August 2013 at 12:36 pm

I see an Auction sign up on the side of Ziegote…. Looks like the curse might be back!!

• 27 August 2013 at 12:42 pm

Thanks for the tip – I’ll have a peek in when I next walk by. The freehold and the tenant are not the same thing though so this doesn’t necessarily mean the cafe has closed.