The local government elections take place on Saturday 27 October 2012. If, like me, you’re deeply cynical about the motives of people who run for election to local government, it can be difficult to find anyone you think is worth voting for. I’ve been thinking about what I want from my local government councillor. I expect them to be transparent about their policies and values.

I want them to be focused on finding pragmatic solutions to local problems. I want them to base their decision-making on facts and the needs of local residents, not the frozen values embodied by irrelevant state or federal political party platforms. I want them to act as individuals, not representatives of a political party.

I want them not to be wannabe career politicians, forever running hopelessly for state parliament while biding their time in local government, caring little for what they’re doing, just padding their resumes at the expense of exasperated ratepayers. Being elected to local government is not an acceptable means to an end.

I’ve been approached by candidates and invited out to coffee to ‘discuss’ the election. Naive idiots. They should know better than to seek my support. I’m not going to endorse anyone, particularly not someone from a political party. None of them can be trusted.

Haven’t I made my displeasure clear about their anti-democratic manipulation of the position of mayor in the City of Yarra (where the ALP and the Greens swapped it between themselves)? Isn’t my disgust about their years of dithering over construction of new public toilets (and the Socialists’ political interference in their placement) obvious?

Here’s how I’m going to select a candidate to vote for. I will refuse to vote for anyone who:

1. Is running as a candidate representing a political party
  2. Has ever run for election to state parliament
  3. Does not make what I consider to be comprehensive and transparent statements about their values and agenda on their website.

Unfortunately, there will probably no one who meets these criteria and I’ll have to make an informal vote. Note to the electoral scrutineers: if you find a ballot voting 1. corrupt parasite, that will be mine.

who not to vote for in the forthcoming City of Yarra local government elections

7 thoughts on “who not to vote for in the forthcoming City of Yarra local government elections

• 23 October 2012 at 9:14 pm

Strangely I have been unable to find any decent information on the 2012 candidates. I have looked on the City of Yarra site, the Electoral Commission site, and I’ve googled. Nowhere is there any information on anything other than the names of the candidates. It makes choosing really quite difficult.

• 23 October 2012 at 11:40 pm

Choosing is easy. I can’t honestly vote of any of them. When your choice is between party hacks, spineless incompetents and corrupt suits what choice is there? I’ll be voting informal: vote 1 useless fuckwit.

• 30 October 2012 at 9:23 pm

If you had been prepared to look a bit harder without the blinkers on, you would probably have found several candidates that are neither hacks, incompetent nor corrupt, and who represent a range of political perspectives. Or, if you don’t like what you see, run for council yourself. False generalisation, holier than thou posturing and informal voting is lazy and counterproductive if you really do want a better local government,

• 30 October 2012 at 9:28 pm

Oh really? There was almost no information about most of them online. I won’t vote for someone if I don’t know what they stand for.

• 30 October 2012 at 9:50 pm

Fair enough. But there’s a big difference between not voting because you don’t know what candidates stand for, and your earlier assumption that all candidates were hacks, incompetents or corrupt. Incidentally, 8 existing councillors were running again, and there was plenty of information on the council website (bios, meeting minutes) and in some cases on party websites to give you a quick view of what they stood for.

• 30 October 2012 at 9:57 pm

Bios and minutes explaining past decisions are not a platform or manifesto about what they plan to do in future. Most of the candidates failed to market themselves online and failed to explain their policy ideas. I will be writing more about this soon.

• 1 November 2012 at 8:08 am

When and where do candidates declare any areas of potential conflict of interest?
    I would specifically like to know if candidates (or any of their close family or associates) have any business or financial interests within the City Of Yarra.