Food trucks have been able to operate in the City of Yarra since July, but are limited to a single location, whereas in the City of Moreland they appear to have more flexibility to roam and face less hostile council restrictions.

Is this council bureaucracy stifling innovation? Is it council pandering to business ratepayers at the expense of resident wishes? Do all residents want food trucks, or are they a social hazard attracting crowds and noise to residential areas?

I’d like to hear what you think. Which food trucks have been in the City of Yarra since the ban was dropped? What was your experience as a customer? How do you feel about the City of Yarra making it harder for food trucks than the city of Moreland?

food trucks in the City of Yarra

5 thoughts on “food trucks in the City of Yarra

• 27 August 2012 at 7:09 am

The council does it to protect businesses in the area. It’s anti-competitive and could be a case for the ACCC to look at.

• 27 August 2012 at 2:10 pm

I personally love the food they sell, especially the Taco Truck, although for street food they do tend to be a little on the expensive side. Great concept however.

• 27 August 2012 at 9:21 pm

I live near the border, so I’ve had Taco, Beatbox Burgers and Gumbo Kitchen. I’m a big fan of the Gumbo Kitchen. The Taco Truck is delicious but is overpriced and I’ve had to wait a loooong time for my food there a few times. I think they add something to the city, and the ability to roam is a good thing. Being in some dead-end residential street with no space would be no good to them, and neither would clogging up Brunswick St and getting slammed by drunks on a Saturday night. I think a more common sense approach would work, and if the City are that paranoid why not make it probationary?

I’ve been introduced to a few new bars around the place when they’ve paired up with one of the trucks; not everyone is afraid of competition.

• 28 August 2012 at 1:01 pm

I like the trucks, they park near my house and I enjoy eating there from time to time but if I was paying rates and running a shop and I had one parked up next door to me I’d be pretty shirty about it. What is the situation when they park on private land? i.e the one at the Tote or the one on Nicholson St that sells souvlaki’s opposite bar fred. Are they charged for permits or rates? Do they get health inspections? If I opened a business, compared the competition that was around made a decision as to where to locate etc and every week I had competition that was operating from a lower cost based parked out the front you can understand why someone would be annoyed.

• 26 September 2012 at 11:12 pm

The trucks have to have all the same food inspections and also have to pay rates to the council for every council they trade in. It is more expensive than a bricks and mortar shop in that regard as they trade in a few councils.

I would love to see more trucks around the city. It adds another great dimension to the city and more quality food experiences are never a bad thing!