I caught up with a friend recently for coffee and she told me about how her boss had demanded to friend her on Facebook. She felt pressured and reluctantly accepted the request, but then unfriended her boss and hoped that she would not notice, but she did and demanded to be friended again. My friend relented but then placed her boss in a group that does not receive any status updates from her. My friend also told me about how her boss made negative comments about the content on her personal Twitter account.

A few days ago an ABC journalist called for feedback from Twitter users on being asked about their personal social media accounts by employers, and a US based article appeared on the Age before the ABC could get theirs out.

This intrusive behaviour is unacceptable. It’s the digital equivalent of your boss arriving at your home on the weekend and demanding to come in, snooping around in your fridge to see if you have enough fruit and vegetables to maintain a healthy diet, and looking at the books and DVDs on your shelf to see what taste in entertainment you have.

We sell you our labour, not our personalities. Our lives and identities are private and none of your business. Fuck off!

my personal life is none of your business

7 thoughts on “my personal life is none of your business

• 24 March 2012 at 8:31 am

here here; it’s wrong and akin to looking in the bathroom cabinet at your medicines

• 24 March 2012 at 4:10 pm

Totally agree, and in fact I made a similar comment to my gf when I saw the article about employers/recruitment agencies asking for Facebook passwords as part of the job hunting process. Any potential employer that asked me for that would be told to go an perform an anatomically challenging act upon themselves.

This is my life, assholes, not yours. I exchange my labour for your money. That’s where our interaction stops. You have no right to have any involvement in my private life unless I choose to allow you to do so. Typically I will not.

• 25 March 2012 at 3:28 pm

Unfortunately, the job situation in the US is so dire right now that people are giving up their rights (and their passwords) in order to secure a job to be able to feed their kids. The employers are taking advantage of their position to get the info out of applicants. It makes me ill…

• 25 March 2012 at 4:38 pm

I think this is a stupid excuse. Facebook now expressly forbids it. They could just say it’s unconstitutional or something about privacy and freedom of speech. If you don’t have the courage of your convictions you have nothing.

• 29 March 2012 at 1:35 pm

I suspect that for some having money for food and rent kinda outweighs standing up for your passionate beliefs about privacy.

• 31 March 2012 at 9:09 am

I think you could take your employer to court over something like that, it sounds like harrassment to me.