I cannot say that this is the definitely the worst meal I have ever had, but it is the worst I can think of. Migas is a Spanish dish that makes use of stale bread. It may look like this or like this. When I ordered it I imagined something like this, which sounded delicious: chorizo and morcilla fried with onions and garlic and breadcrumbs, with a poached egg. A traditional breakfast dish apparently.

But at Lunya Catalonian cafe and deli in Liverpool, it looks like this: a sandpit of dry packet breadcrumbs, with no onion or garlic, tiny specks of meat that could only be identified by taste, not appearance, and the egg sitting sadly on top. I picked at it in disbelief, paid and left. The coffee was better but equally bizarre: ferociously strong, which I like, but which most people would have found undrinkable.

I should have known better: it is located in the central commercial area surrounded by banality and, while the deli section looked normal, the cafe area was almost deserted and had no vibe. A UK food blogger gave it a mixed review but I should have paid more attention to the negative bits. For the love of God get a pie from a petrol station or a hotdog from a street vendor before eating here…

migas the worst meal I've ever eaten

the worst meal I’ve ever eaten

6 thoughts on “the worst meal I’ve ever eaten

• 3 November 2011 at 11:06 pm

That screams for a photo competition – delicacies of the world cooked L1 style.

• 19 April 2012 at 8:29 pm

I think it’s ridiculous to slander a restaurant so stubbornly after trying one dish, which in my opinion was a poor choice from the menu on your part. I can’t defend the meal given to you as it doesn’t look appetising to me either, but I have had my favourite meals in Liverpool at Lunya, and a hundred times better than Host (which is basically just an upgraded Wagamama).

If you are back in Liverpool return to Lunya in the evening. Enjoy a rioja with some interesting tapas such as baby eels, monte enebro, and a bowl of Catalan scouse. Then you will see that Lunya is a cut above the mediocre Spanish establishments such as Tapas Tapas.

Residing in a good postcode doesn’t mean the food is poor. That is such upward snobbery.

• 20 April 2012 at 8:19 am

The dish was a travesty. My opinion is not slander. Nice astroturfing.

• 22 April 2012 at 12:19 pm

“I think it’s ridiculous to slander a restaurant so stubbornly after trying one dish”

How many dishes do you need to try before forming an opinion?

• 22 April 2012 at 8:41 pm

“…..which in my opinion was a poor choice from the menu on your part….”

ummm, wow!

which bit did Brian do wrong?

• 22 April 2012 at 11:16 pm

I know! Blame the consumer for ordering a dish on the menu! Without asking for any changes or anything ‘on the side’! Outrageous. The menu seemed reasonable, but the recipe for (this dish at least) was evidently cobbled together by an alien who never ate human food.