Oh dear. A regional tourism business has been using Amazon’s Mechanical Turk or something similar to hire illiterate spammers to comment on blogs about their business. Here’s a sample of the many that I have received recently. I encourage you not to stay with them.

grampians Grampians spam embarrassment

Grampians spam embarrassment

10 thoughts on “Grampians spam embarrassment

• 21 August 2011 at 11:21 pm

The last comment is my favourite. Amazing! It’s like the worst school essay ever.

• 22 August 2011 at 11:03 am

It’s a worrying trend this, businesses spamming favourable comments. Check out Sahara Nights in Brunswick on urbanspoon.com, hilariously obvious that they’re not legit comments. Still, joking aside, when people wilfully abuse the web to dishonestly further their business interests it sets a scary precedent and threatens the voluntary ‘honour system’ that most people adhere to.

• 22 August 2011 at 11:20 am

And it makes them look as stupid as they evidently are!

• 23 August 2011 at 11:54 pm

My favourite is “Hope to see you down here one day if your blog brings an income”. !!!

Your illiterate spammers are much more literate than mine – I just checked the latest batch (over 600 deleted today) and no Grampians spam. Plenty of funny awfulness though.

• 24 August 2011 at 7:14 am

Ouch! Are you running Akismet and Bad Behaviour? These plugins should massively reduce your spam.

• 25 August 2011 at 7:59 am

Worrying? On the contrary. It’s obvious that this is nothing more than blatant spamming, so what chance is there about ever being deceived?

I will begin my worrying when the spammers become skillful enough to actually write something which looks authentic. At this point in time however, their efforts look like a bad joke.

• 25 August 2011 at 8:14 am

The deception is on the part of the people who commissioned the spam. Of course the spam is not convincing but the intent of those who paid for it is for it to be convincing.

• 25 August 2011 at 11:39 pm

Brian, yes I’m a fan of Akismet. It keeps the spam to a minimum….I like to think that it’s a measure of my blog’s success, that it attracts so much spam! Thankfully it’s caught and deleted and so my readers never need worry their pretty little heads about it.

• 26 August 2011 at 7:14 am

If you use Bad Behaviour too it helps!