A few people have asked me if I have eaten at Eat Drink Man Woman on Brunswick St and, if so, why I have not reviewed it. I have not been and am not planning to go until I can read the menu. They don’t have a website or any social media presence and don’t even post their menu in the window for passers-by to read.

For me this is a total fail. I rarely walk into somewhere with no idea of what I am likely to get. Obviously the blog reviews show a variety of dishes but not always prices, and I want to know what they serve, what the prices are, when they open and what the wine list is. Without this information they don’t deserve my cash.

The same goes for the new Brix on Westgarth St. They have a website but there is no menu on it and there was no menu in the window when I walked by today (it was open). If they can’t be bothered telling me what they serve and enticing me to enter I can’t be bothered making any effort to find out.

show me the menu

25 thoughts on “show me the menu

• 20 August 2011 at 8:10 pm

This goes double for those of us with dietary requirements!

• 20 August 2011 at 8:23 pm

So have you never been to the Morroccan Soup Bar? Or is that an exception?

• 20 August 2011 at 9:11 pm

The first time I went to the Moroccan Soup Bar I was taken by a friend who was familiar with it and who explained it to me. This doesn’t work for new restaurants who should be trying to entice passing trade in with a menu in the window.

• 20 August 2011 at 9:51 pm

Agreed. How hard is it for them to put a copy of their menu online. And WHY would a new cafe/restaurant/whatever even bother to make a website sans menu?? I also find it a bit insulting and am also in the habit of refusing these places my business.

• 21 August 2011 at 4:16 am

It keeps typical fitzroy wankers like you out. The owners have a solid reputation and that’s all they need.

• 21 August 2011 at 4:19 am

I don’t eat reputations. I eat food. I don’t care about the reputation of the restauranteur. I’m not interested in the cult of the chef. I want to get an idea of what the restaurant is like so I know whether it suits my mood and the occasion. This arrogance about reputations and status is why so many restaurants fail. They fail to address the needs and wants of customers.

• 21 August 2011 at 8:17 am

Sure does save the embarrassment of going in, sitting down, reading the menu and then having to figure out a polite way to get out of there when you figure out that it’s too expensive or they don’t have anything that would suit you. I don’t go into a restaurant if I don’t know what I’m in for!

• 21 August 2011 at 3:48 pm

I completely agree with Anna – absolutely nothing worse than having to walk out after reading the menu and realising you don’t like a thing on it! Good reputation? Fantastic. But if I don’t know what to expect, I don’t really care!

• 21 August 2011 at 6:10 pm

i agree with brian’s response to sam … i don’t know anything about chef/restaurateurs with reputations and i really couldn’t care less. this is completely wanky in itself.

i too have walked pst and thought … nice fitout … but can’t say that i find it enticing. the reputation also doesn’t seem to be helping fill the place. menus are a definite must … particularly in a place so crammed with good food as fitzroy. it’s a place where you have to entice people who will be just as happy to go to vegie bar/afghan gallery/the fitz etc etc and order food they know they’ll enjoy. menus on window are a must for me … or i won’t bother (unless i’ve had a recommendation).

btw … if they wanted to avoid fitzroy wankers, they probably shouldn’t have opened a restaurant in fitzroy.

• 22 August 2011 at 9:34 am

Completely agree! We walked out of the Brix on Sunday morning after our coffees which we ordered before seeing the menu, on which was nothing we wanted to eat for breakfast(read: smoked eel).

Eat Drink Man Woman, is a better menu for my taste however it is written SO badly! I dont want to have to decode my eggs and bacon before i order!

• 22 August 2011 at 10:30 am

Oh I love smoked eel! But I also want to know what is on offer before I walk in the door.

• 22 August 2011 at 11:10 am

• 22 August 2011 at 11:21 am

Yes, I too want to know. I claim to be an ‘atypical’ Fitzroy wanker. Don’t confuse me with those ‘typical’ Fitzroy wankers – how common!

• 22 August 2011 at 5:08 pm

I have an unsual food allergy, and another intolerance, so i have to avoid certain foods and limit my intake of others. My partner is lactose intolerant, and we have vegetarian friends. I like to know beforehand, whether or not all our needs can be catered for. If not, or they don’t want to say, never mind there is plenty of competition nearby.

Sam Says:
    August 21st, 2011 at 4:16 am

This is, without a doubt, the wankiest thing I have read for some time! Love it!

• 26 August 2011 at 6:11 pm

“What is a ‘typical Fitzroy wanker’ anyway? Is there a wiki somewhere that explains?”

Or, perhaps more appropriately, a ‘wanki’?

;-)

• 31 August 2011 at 7:14 pm

Ugh. I should have followed your lead!
    My partner & I went to EDMW the other day, hoping to have a nice saturday brunch but ended up walking out after seeing the menu. So disappointing.
    As a good-food loving vegetarian, I struggled to find anything that tickled my fancy. So we had to make an awkward ‘escape’ & decided we would be better off heading to somewhere we knew.

Anyway, the point of that story was to say that I agree, they should post their menu somewhere for viewing

• 2 September 2011 at 10:13 am

have just had a look at the Brix website, and it’s got to be one of the wankiest I’ve ever seen. From their ‘About Us’ page:

…we are working on materialising a unique concept based on a classic idea being contemporised and individualised into a space where we can share our delight in food and wine with the like minded.

FFS, based on that alone I wouldn’t bother visiting!

• 2 September 2011 at 12:06 pm

Agreed. They’re focused on pleasing themselves and not potential customers.

• 3 September 2011 at 12:16 am

i believe as i flashed past on the tram yesterday evening there may have been a menu on the front window. i was going to look tonight but enjoyed my kway teow too much a china bar to remember ;-)

• 3 September 2011 at 12:35 pm

Yes at least I thought I saw a big white bit of paper on the front window. As I said tho I was on the tram.

• 3 September 2011 at 4:20 pm

You were right! The menu has appeared in a shoddy plastic frame in the front window. Looks like a rush job. Brix haven’t learned the lesson yet though…

• 12 December 2011 at 4:13 pm

And now Brix have their menu on their website too. Unfortunately the .jpg image files are small, so the text is hard to read and the navigation does not work well in Firefox.