What I think was the last photo shop in Fitzroy recently closed on Brunswick St. Along with the end of chemical photo processing came what I believe was a massive decline in sales of photo albums and frames. Not only don’t we need to print our photos on paper to see them, but we also display them less in books as we can carry thousands of photos on our digital devices. The age of physical media is truly over.

lastphotoshop the last photo shop has closed

the last photo shop has closed

10 thoughts on “the last photo shop has closed

• 17 May 2011 at 1:29 pm

I think it’s good evidence to show print sales are declining, but I think saying the age of physical media is truly over is over the top. just as people said printed books and newspapers are a thing of the past.

there are many online businesses which allow you to upload photos, design your own book/canvas/mug/cape (whatever) and they post the product out to you. this usually works out cheaper than going to the shops, and of course it’s convenient. chains like big w/kmart also offer similar services.

nothing like a printed photo book with your travel photos to bore your friends with..

• 17 May 2011 at 1:37 pm

Newspaper subscriptions and sales are crashing. Magazine circulation is falling. CD sales are collapsing. Video libraries are closing. New ways to display photos, such as printing on canvas, are appearing but these are supplementary to the core activity of storing and viewing content, not essential to it. The evidence that physical media is in terminal decline is overwhelming.

• 18 May 2011 at 5:10 pm

brian, myself and the tens of thousands of film photographers out there respectfully disagree with you. while i agree, it has declined, it’s far from terminal.

• 18 May 2011 at 6:28 pm

I’m talking about a mainstream, mass market product and/or service that almost everyone uses because we have no other choice. Chemical photography was once the only method; now it’s not. It survives as a retro vintage curiosity for hobbyists and for some professionals, but it is a niche format like vinyl music.

• 19 May 2011 at 5:43 pm

I think that it is fair to say that he invention and proliferation of photo book products can be linked to advent of digital photography. There is still a market for the more tangible hard copy product.

On the other hand Kodak and other film manufactures manufacture much less silver based film and and paper now. Look at the closure of their Coburg plant for starters.

• 19 May 2011 at 9:54 pm

I cannot argue with that assessment. It’s definitely not aimed at the mass market. It is niche and maybe that’s not a bad thing :-) Interestingly, even though I shoot film, I get only negs developed, which I then scan myself and don’t print the photos except for an exhibition or to sell. I share them with others, including other film photographers, primarily in a digital, online world. Plus I would kill for a really amazing high end DSLR!

• 20 May 2011 at 4:28 pm

Reminds me, I gotta print out a whole bunch of photos for my bedroom walls :D

Long live print!

• 23 May 2011 at 9:28 am

agree with Nicole. there will always be a niche market out there for print. (though i agree print sales are of course declining, but not certainly not terminal).

Reading online blogs and other sources of online news doesn’t compare with sitting with a newspaper tablecloth on a sunday morning.

• 19 August 2011 at 1:16 pm

I never print out photos unless I have a couple of hundred to do at a time. Last year I gave away four or five physical photo albums full of photos of specific events. I just get the $60 card to print out 500 photos and buy the proper leather bound albums with the case from Myer (the best one I can find).

I have ordered about 4 photo books from Blurb in the past year based on the one book I put together. I can’t actually publish the book widely so it is only meant for friends. Strangely enough I get more hits on a comparison page I did with Blurb vs. Lulu photo books than any other part of my photos site.