I’m not entirely sure about the attribution I’m going to make in this post. The description says this building is located on the west side of Brunswick St and the north side of Westgarth St. There’s another photo here. The location is the building behind what used to be Retro cafe, but with some changes including an additional level. The arches don’t seem to match, so I’m not really sure if the information is correct.

16691 Fitzroy history - from engineering works to unknown

Courtesy the Fitzroy local history collection / ID: 16691 / photographer: unknown / copyright: expired – image is in the public domain / c1911

engineeringwestgarth1 Fitzroy history - from engineering works to unknown

engineeringwestgarth2 Fitzroy history - from engineering works to unknown

engineeringwestgarth3 Fitzroy history - from engineering works to unknown

Fitzroy history – from engineering works to unknown

7 thoughts on “Fitzroy history – from engineering works to unknown

• 29 January 2011 at 9:28 pm

I agree with Jayne – I don’t think it’s the same building.

The Retro Cafe building style pre-dates the date of the first photo and I doubt that any renovations would have been done in a style that was already decades out of date – and I’ve been upstairs at the old Retro Cafe and it’s clearly Victorian.

I wonder if someone got the location wrong and it’s near to the intersection but not actually on it?

• 29 January 2011 at 11:03 pm

I think you can just see on the right of the photo that the building does not seem to front onto Brunswick St – there’s something next to it, suggesting it is set back as this building is. The Retro cafe front building is separate to the big warehouse / factory building behind it that we are looking at. I’ve corrected the story too – the photo is c1911 not c1948. But Nicole is still right that the Retro cafe front looks Victorian and probably predates 1900. It’s a mystery!

• 31 January 2011 at 11:56 am

from engineering works to apartments.

73 – 77 Westgarth Street

Emu Engineering Works was cnr Westgarth and Fitzroy Streets until 1916.
    “Classified Advertising.” The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954) 24 Feb 1916: 2. Web. 31 Jan 2011.

Link in first comment also mentions Jones and Halliday patents acquired by D& W Chandler, who had foundry at 77 Westgarth St.
    “Classified Advertising.” The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954) 20 Mar 1920: 26. Web. 31 Jan 2011.

MMBW map shows factory at that address.

Probably demolished 1990

Google is fun.

• 28 July 2016 at 5:53 pm

Anderson and richie took over from chandlers in rose street as my father worked in that foundry.I have original photo of chandlers with all the men.

• 1 February 2011 at 1:35 pm

I remember the Emu works building – it was on Westgarth street EAST of Brunswick. It was there in early 1991 when I first moved to the area. It must have disappeared shortly thereafter.

• 17 December 2014 at 7:16 pm

Gday i have a Emu brick machine, just wondering if anyone knows where to get it valued, i have all the attachments and the tool for it, thankyou for any help, bigdave