The former Champion hotel on the corner of Brunswick St and Gertrude has a colourful past. It seemed to have been a centre of illegal gambling at the turn of the previous century, with arrests being made in 1897 for running a sweep. In 1904 someone broke in and stole a roll of linoleum the landlady had recently bought.
In recent years the building has appeared rather scruffy and unloved, and housed a carpet shop. About 18 months ago it became the new post office / shop and at the end of 2010 it received some much needed restorative work to the facade.