Over the weekend Huw Murdoch reported via Twitter that ‘Some band friends from Newcastle, @Seabellies got ambushed and bashed on Brunswick Street last night. Not a nice way to end a residency‘ and that ‘it happened up near workers club I think. They’re ok, but I think one or two need some stitches.

Virginia Murdoch replied ‘On behalf of the civilised residents of Fitzroy, I apologise. That truly sucks.‘ The Seabellies replied via Twitter and Facebook that ‘Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. We are little sore and sorry this morning… Melbourne, we still had the best time, regardless. We love you, it ain’t your fault. But to all the cowardly gangs everywhere: choosing small groups of innocent people to ambush, outnumber and hit with sticks & belts for sport… you are disgusting…’

seabellies musicians bashed on Brunswick St

I’d like to echo Virginia’s apology. I’d also like to think that the cowardly thugs were suburbans visiting Fitzroy for a night out of drink and trouble, not hipster locals. It’s a generalisation, but the openmindedness of the educated inner city population is sharply contrasted with the bigoted narrowmindedness of the outer suburban population.

If the implication is that one of the band members was attacked because of his race (Asian), then I’m even more likely to consider the perpetrators to be outsiders. Fitzroy has one of the highest populations per capita of residents from Asian backgrounds in Victoria, but to my knowledge it is not known as an area prone to racist violence compared to other suburbs.

If you witnessed this, please contact the Police.

musicians bashed on Brunswick St

10 thoughts on “musicians bashed on Brunswick St

• 29 November 2010 at 1:10 pm

Interesting your first thought was suburbans. When I saw attack with sticks and belts, I thought East African gangs. Given the Worker’s club is right next to Atherton gardens, that would have been my first go to. Without any details, its up for speculation. Interesting that it didn’t make any local news. Makes you wonder how often these incidents occur?

• 29 November 2010 at 1:43 pm

It probably didn’t make the local news because dead tree journalists don’t use Twitter. They usually get their news from Police bulletins, and if this was not reported to the Police then they would never have heard of it. The band may not have known how close the Fitzroy Police station was to them. I didn’t realise that sticks and belts were associated with the violent behaviour of any particular cultural or ethnic group.

• 29 November 2010 at 1:57 pm

Unfortunately this sounds very familiar.

A few years back when the Workers Club was the Rob Roy, my husband played a gig with his band. He and the bassist were carrying all the gear back to the car when a random guy came and headbutted the bassist in the face, breaking his nose. There was no provocation whatsoever.

Police were called and they said that the matter would be looked into, but nothing ever came about. The police and the security guard at the Rob Roy said that this happened fairly frequently at this end of Brunswick St….

• 29 November 2010 at 3:54 pm

apologies from me too as a local. We welcome musicians with open arms.
    Please do tell police.
    (I will look up your music as further support. Maybe fitzroyalty could point us to a track..)

• 29 November 2010 at 8:09 pm

I should have done some more research before I interpreted the comment by @daym at the bottom of the screen capture image. The comment could be read as sympathising with one of the band members – by saying ‘I’m Asian too’ the commenter could be read as suggesting that she sympathises with one of the victims of the attack and the possible cause of the attack – anti-Asian racism.

However the opposite appears to be the case. After looking at photos of the band it is obvious that they are 6 anglo 20somethings – 1 woman and 5 men. A witness to the events has contacted me and supplied some valuable information. Apparently the attack happened on the Workers Club side of Brunswick St in front of Atherton Gardens, initiated by 2 people then it escalated until about 10 were involved. The attackers were of Asian appearance. The Police were called and statements were taken.

• 30 November 2010 at 3:10 pm

Just because you don’t look AZN doesn’t mean you aren’t AZN, you guys.

• 30 November 2010 at 5:48 pm

Agreed, we’re merely trying to understand the somewhat cryptic Twitter reference.

• 3 December 2010 at 3:59 pm

Yes, it’s a prime example of professional journalism ethics that they don’t acknowledge their sources – the Twitter users and Fitzroyalty that pulled all the information together and published a hard news story. The supposed author of this story is a selfish lazy old school media parasite.