I can’t identify Thanks to some readers I can now see that the location of this c1890 photo of Brunswick St is the Cape Live. Does anyone recognise the buildings? See below for how the street appears today from the same point of view.

brunswickst Fitzroy history - somewhere on Brunswick St

Courtesy of SLV / ID: H11763 / photographer: unknown / copyright: expired – image is in the public domain / c1890

brunswickst2 Fitzroy history - somewhere on Brunswick St

Fitzroy history – somewhere on Brunswick St

7 thoughts on “Fitzroy history – somewhere on Brunswick St

• 25 October 2010 at 1:27 pm

I think the building on the corner is where Cape Live is now, so corner of Brunswick and Johnston Streets looking up towards Argyle Street – there’s the two curved bits at the top and six windows.

• 25 October 2010 at 1:30 pm

It’s the corner of Brunswick and Johnston Streets, with Cape Live Bar on the immediate right hand corner.

• 25 October 2010 at 6:42 pm

Thanks people! Can’t believe I couldn’t see it.

• 25 October 2010 at 3:08 pm

I wonder if you’re looking at the intersection of Brunswick and Gertrude Streets, and so the buildings on the right hand side are no longer there?

• 26 October 2010 at 10:33 am

Love stuff like this….isn’t it interesting how one of the roof lines has changed and the chimney pots gone…..so many questions you want to ask about that photo – who is the man in the white jacket? Is he a policeman? What is the man doing on the left near the dray…fixing an axle???…and what are on that big pole on the right there? …are they transformers or something ??? I’m such a luddite!

• 26 October 2010 at 12:20 pm

I really like the old prints that SLV has. Are there any places that sell prints or would you just buy the digital image from SLV, then take it to a print shop?

• 26 October 2010 at 4:31 pm

I think the state library and other bodies could do a lot more with their image archives and other collections, but they seem rather limited in their understanding of what could be done…