The Brotherhood of St Lawrence posted these photos yesterday on their Twitpic account of the babushka dolls in the Atherton Gardens repainted to depict them wearing burqas. The top picture was posted first; a few hours later, they posted another of them wrapped in plastic. That’s how I saw them when I walked past, and I thought they’d been vandalised. I didn’t pay much attention, but when I saw the photos online last night it all made sense.

burqa1 welcome to Fitzroystan

burqa2 welcome to Fitzroystan

welcome to Fitzroystan

4 thoughts on “welcome to Fitzroystan

• 19 August 2010 at 12:36 am

What are the red squares (I’m on my phone, resolution is crappy)? What is it all about? I’m used to more commentary from you Brian, you’re never short of something to say…

• 19 August 2010 at 12:47 am

There’s nothing to say – they used to look like this and now they don’t. Perhaps it’s part of a larger political art campaign critiquing islam.

• 19 August 2010 at 9:53 am

I’d like to hope that it’s more a political art campaign criticising the banning of the burqua, as in ‘women can shove a plastic bag over their heads but they’re being banned from wearing a bit of fabric’.
    Still telling women what they can and can’t do and hiding it behind the lie of ‘liberation’ *rolls eyes*

• 20 August 2010 at 3:18 pm

I would love to know what the women (and it is only women’s opinion on this that matters) themselves think of wearing burqa’s. Its easy for me as a western woman to have a view about them, but I’ve never actually heard anything from a woman who wears one. In my opinion it would be interesting and informative for everyone, especially as these women’s voices seem so often to be unfairly drowned out.