I don’t think I have previously mentioned my lifelong obsession with Doctor Who. The revived BBC has been wonderful and I am so excited by the excellent performances of Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor and Karen Gillan as his companion Amy Pond. Another intriguing character is River Song, whose relationship with the Doctor is being slowly revealed through a storyline extended across regenerations and series.

river the relationship between River Song and Doctor Who

Their atemporal relationship is complex and I found it helpful to use one of my favourite applications, Omnigraffle, to draw this diagram of their meetings. Comments and corrections are welcome.

the relationship between River Song and Doctor Who

6 thoughts on “the relationship between River Song and Doctor Who

• 5 July 2010 at 3:17 pm

Love it! I have been thinking about how this could work in reality (a reality where time travel is possible of course!) but this is the perfect way to visualise it.

The only thing i would add is between 2 and 3 on River’s timeline, she writes the oldest message in the universe on a cliff face, “Hello Sweetie” plus the co-ordinates for britain in when the pandorica opens.

Can’t wait for more expositions of 1 and 2 ni River’s timeline!

• 5 July 2010 at 4:25 pm

Thanks Simon. I have not added in other events in their individual timelines to keep it simple – this is ONLY where they meet – where they share space/time.

• 5 July 2010 at 8:21 pm

Fantastic work Brian!

You can make it even more complex if you add in all the foreshadowing..

She mentions the Byzantium when she first meets him in the Library ep.
    Then, in the Forest of the Dead, she says to her team mates that she’s been with him to ‘end of the universe’, ie the Big Bang ep.

Then, of course, at the end of the Byzantium ep she says she’ll see him soon, at the opening of the Pandorica.

So, it’s a far bet that next season we’ll see her in the two other adventures she’s asked him about as they’ve “done diaries”: the Bone Meadows and Picnic at Asgard.

My favourite thing of all though, is that when they show her sitting in the cell, just before Winston calls, she’s reading the diary.

Team River all the way! So glad Moffat’s got the reigns now!!

• 5 July 2010 at 8:39 pm

Because the Bone Meadows and the picnic at Asgard are undated they may also be asynchronous in their timelines, so I thought it best to leave those out for now.

• 6 July 2010 at 8:42 pm

Ta, Brian. Very useful. We’ve been promised River’s first meeting with the Dr next season, I think.

Karen Melzak pointed this out to me.

Gina (former fellow UWA Arts postgrad)

• 11 July 2010 at 3:45 pm

Ooh! spoilers! I haven’t seen the end of the current season yet!