This fine building on Smith St, c1911, which appears to be in good structural condition, is planned for complete demolition. PL09/0988, lodged on 21/12/2009, calls for the  demolition of all buildings and structures on the land at 145-163 Smith Street. You have until 29 March to lodge a complaint with the City of Yarra.

demolition2 destined for demolition

demolition1 destined for demolition

destined for demolition

8 thoughts on “destined for demolition

• 23 March 2010 at 9:45 am

After being involved in a pretty horrific proposal I became acutly aware of how important playing by the rules are. Planning issues are something that I am particularly concerned with now, and I think its important to put the right information out there if you are going to bring an issue like this to people attention.

While I don’t disagree with you, it is a beautiful building, people should understand that if they are going to make a submission about the permit application to council, it needs to be done according to the guidelines set by council.

I’m not the City of Yarras biggest fan, but this http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/planning/Statutory%20Planning/pdf/Fact%20sheets/fs03-responding.pdf is pretty useful and can help people when making submissions.

• 23 March 2010 at 11:32 am

It seems rather obvious to me – you contact the City of Yarra. All the information is on their website. I’m providing an opinion, not writing a how-to manual.

• 23 March 2010 at 2:00 pm

I don’t know the reasons for the demolition so unless it was likely to directly affect me I see no point in objecting for the sake of it.

• 26 March 2010 at 10:03 pm

Some more info on the application for demolition at this site on the walking Melbourne website http://www.walkingmelbourne.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6223&start=6

Didn’t get my copy of the Melbourne Times this week (very unreliable!) so cannot confirm the article, but sounds about right, it was also confirmed on Steven Jolly’s blog as well

I was really starting to worry that Fitzroy property was getting crazy enough to knock down a building of that sort of significance!

• 26 March 2010 at 11:42 pm

So it’s a scam to get the tax on the property lowered. It’s disgusting. Corporate scum like them should be wiped from the face of the earth.

• 29 March 2010 at 3:15 pm

Good to hear that it’s staying and if the owners of the building can reduce the tax liablity that’s also good for them.