I’ve made a Google map of hyperlocal sites and blogs in Australia. If you know of more please let me know.

View Hyperlocal Australia in a larger map

a map of hyperlocal sites in Australia

10 thoughts on “a map of hyperlocal sites in Australia

• 7 December 2009 at 8:56 am

super idea! republic moreland looks promising, although not recently updated…

• 8 December 2009 at 11:57 am

I added you! (sorry I left you off). Also found 3 for Fremantle – very impressed by them.

• 9 December 2009 at 5:48 pm

We’ll have to agree to disagree about all of this. None of these sites are remotely hyperlocal. Some contain citizen journalism. I think Norg has been a complete failure yet everyone keeps discussing it like it was a success. Show me the evidence! No one uses it. It just rehashes content from elsewhere, as does Typeboard. Roar seems to have some citizen journalism but it is still focused on name writers.

• 9 December 2009 at 10:58 pm

Well, I was having a look at some of the links from the google map you added and many posts within some of these hyperlocal sites also have information from else where just like the sites I mentioned before, and that is actually called news aggregators which is done by many community and hyperlocal websites.

This is what hyperlocal actually means:

and this is what citizen/community journalism means:

I believe they are both similar but hyperlocal is target to a smaller audience and in many cases just done by one person that person has complete control over posts and comments, not very community driven, don’t you think?

Either way, it is good to know there are people out there trying to share their news, information and stories with everyone, it’s a shame that they are not working together though.

• 9 December 2009 at 11:15 pm

Err, I know what hyperlocal means. The 10 local news sites that aggregate content for inner city Melbourne listed in the map and at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperlocal are published by me.

Who is not working together? The over 400 contributors whose work is syndicated in the local news sites? We are all working together. I think it’s the biggest (in terms of contributors) social media project in Australia.

A hyperlocal site is about a place, particularly one that is smaller than a large city, like a metropolitan suburb or country town. It may be a solo or group publication. It does not have to be community driven – this is not a fundamental part of the definition.

• 9 December 2009 at 11:35 pm

Hey Brian, just found this site to ruin the hyperlocal and community party… http://www.whereilive.com.au/ looks like news.com.au have noticed the power of citizen and community websites and also wants to take the glory. :-) bigger reason for all hyperlocal, community and citizen sites to work together.. but that’s my personal opinion.

• 10 December 2009 at 12:15 am

So other readers are clear, Mark is associated with Typeboard.

I wrote about the failed social and hyperlocal media strategy in News Ltd’s Where I live local newspaper websites a year ago now. Their coverage of small local news and events has increased significantly, but it’s still pointless. It’s packaged in a layer of spam advertising so thick you can’t see the news.

The fact that a legacy media corporate is trying to adapt to the new media environment is interesting, but this is insufficient reason in itself for other new / social media providers to work together unless they have other, more substantial, things in common.

Sites like Typeboard and Norg have been used by contributors to mainly submit links to existing commercial media. They’re just like Digg. They have nothing in common with genuine hyperlocal sites.

Citizen journalism about generic world news, like US oriented tech news about Google etc, has nothing to do with hyperlocal. Community sites may or may not be hyperlocal. Just because many creators of hyperlocal news are citizen journalists does not mean that citizen journalism is necessarily hyperlocal.

• 10 December 2009 at 2:00 am

Heheh.. yes, I am friends with some of the guys from the site, and your point is? my name links to their site in my first comment.. is that wrong?

I am sharing my personal opinion and trying to understand and support hyperlocal, citizen and community journalism downunder. I didn’t realise you had something against these sites.. my bad :-(

And these sites do actually add local and original content as well, just like ireport, allvoices, digital journal, twitter and others do. I mean you even RSS content from your other sites, which I think is good, right?

I agree with you about whereilive, very commercial and messy, I rather support local and small sites than big sharks like news corp.

It seems to me that hyperlocal, citizen, community, blogging and the rest is just turning into one big social media mashup, which I think is great.

Anyway, It was nice to meet you and find out about all your hyperlocal sites.

• 10 December 2009 at 8:23 am

My agenda is based on what I see as being of most use to local audiences. Sites that publish useful and helpful information about local places that help local people live better, more enjoyable lives are what interst me.

So using citizen journalism to create more babble about tech news and football has no use to me. In contrast, local residents creating news and information about their communities is of great utility.