The new traffic lights with special signals for cyclists have been installed and running for several weeks now. The intersection seems much safer to me. What do you think?

napiertraffic2 traffic signals for cyclists at the corner of Johnston and Napier streets

napiertraffic3 traffic signals for cyclists at the corner of Johnston and Napier streets

napiertraffic1 traffic signals for cyclists at the corner of Johnston and Napier streets

traffic signals for cyclists at the corner of Johnston and Napier streets

8 thoughts on “traffic signals for cyclists at the corner of Johnston and Napier streets

• 7 August 2009 at 9:21 am

Yep, much safer. I’m a fan, although last time I went through them I had to wait AGES.

• 7 August 2009 at 9:41 am

Yes, you can wait for a long time, but then you had to wait for as long before because the road is so busy. I think it is definitely safer as you don’t have to risk going through agro drivers going home from work!

• 7 August 2009 at 9:29 pm

Uh I don’t get it. I see a normal traffic light and a pedestrian light.

I’m not familiar with the intersection, are bicycles the only thing allowed to cross at that intersection?

• 7 August 2009 at 9:36 pm

The photos don’t actually show the controls up close. There is a separate bicycle lane on both sides of Napier St and when the crossing signal goes green bicycles have a priority to go before the cars go in the same direction. It’s a very busy bicycle intersection for people riding into the city.

• 7 August 2009 at 11:22 pm

Oh.

So it’s similar to the cyclist lights on St. Kilda road outside Flinders heading into the city?

If so yeah, I wish these were everywhere!

• 8 August 2009 at 11:52 am

It helps cyclists and car drivers alike. I use this intersection often (as a car driver) and it was a real pain to get onto Johnston Street from Napier St at peak times (and non-peak times too if no one is kind enough to let you in). It slows traffic down and some won’t like it for it but it encourages ad hoc meditation ;P

• 12 August 2009 at 10:36 am

An improvement for all users. Watch out for idiots leaving the bottle shop car park though.

• 16 August 2009 at 8:00 pm

not really safer, all the drivers seem to want to overtake via left lane….

as long as everyone realises that johnston st has one lane, its ok, but now no one cares.