I’ve been a fan of Gutz cafe on Brunswick St for a long time. Their menemen is one of my favourite breakfasts, and I recently tried their Turkish village breakfast for the first time. It consists of toast covered with sauteed onions and spinach, topped with two poached eggs. It’s then covered in minted yoghurt and it is delicious!

turkisheggs Turkish village breakfast at Gutz on Brunswick St

Turkish village breakfast at Gutz on Brunswick St

6 thoughts on “Turkish village breakfast at Gutz on Brunswick St

• 18 July 2009 at 6:12 am

I have been living in Australia for 10 years and have always tried to find a quality cafe serving Turkish Breakfasts. Gutz Cafe is the one that does it the best in melbourne. I go there at least once a week, and the quality is the same every single time.

• 18 July 2009 at 7:49 am

Hi Nadir, thanks for that! I love the food at Gutz but, not being Turkish and not having traveled there, I had no way of knowing how authentic it is. It’s good to hear that I’m not the only one who likes it!

• 18 July 2009 at 9:33 am

I concur – the Village Breakfast is a real treat! The staff are lovely too.

• 22 July 2009 at 8:21 am

After reading your write up on Gutz Cafe, I went and tried the village breakfast, and my partner had the menamen, I only have one word to describe it….WOW! Thanks for the recommendation Brian.

• 22 July 2009 at 8:33 am

Thanks Steven – it’s a pleasure to be able to share good experiences about relatively little known places!

• 3 May 2012 at 8:54 am

Went there for the first time yesterday on a voucher deal. Was impressed by both the huge full Turkish breakfast (especially the great sliced Turkish sausage) and anatolian breakfast, and particularly by the fact that the lovely owner Pam didn’t treat us like cheap charlies. We’ll be back (as full price customers).