The Rose St Market will be opening on Sundays from August 2009, and the Fitzroy Market (which has been in development since September 2008) sounds like it will finally go ahead. I’m looking forward to it! Apparently there were resident complaints to council against the market proposal. Given that it is a daytime event, I am surprised that there were complaints, though I suppose there will be traffic, parking and congestion issues. For more information please contact Fiona Newton and Louise Irving at fitzroymarket@hotmail.com.

Fitzroy markets update

4 thoughts on “Fitzroy markets update

• 4 July 2009 at 1:13 pm

Some people just can’t stand other people enjoying themselves.

• 8 August 2009 at 12:56 pm

The major resident concerns have been around noise, parking, traffic, congestion and waste management.

John’s comment is naive, in that everyone who’s objected did so in an open and civil manner, asking the council and organisers to address their concerns well in advance.

The council acknowledged that the school is surrounded by residential properties and that they were all legitimate concerns, then both council and the organisers ignored them outright – suggesting that they wait until these things actually become issues before complaining. Hardly an intelligent way of local government to manage planning.

• 12 August 2009 at 9:34 pm

My name is Fiona and I am one of the market organisers. I wish to state here that we have definitely not ignored the issues outright. We have done as much as is in our power to minimise the impact on the residents. We have organised parking inspectors to enforce the restrictions in the area, we have offered to clean the surronding streets as well as the school site, we have offered to marshall cars into the site in the shortest possible amount of time. As for parking, the council has stated that the residents can apply to a separate area of the council to have more permit parking put in during the market day. I cant speak for the council but i know that we, as the market organisers, have not ignored the issues raised by the residents!
    We want this to be a positive community event for all concerned – the local residents, local businesses, local community organisations, Fitzroy Primary School, the stall holders and the patrons of the market.
    We are only asking to operate a market for 15 days a year.
    I have been overwhelmed by the community support and encouragement we have had for a community market operating in Fitzroy.

• 12 August 2009 at 10:19 pm

Council does not let every plan be put into action. There is careful and cautious risk management undertaken. I think the market sounds well planned and should be a benefit to Fitzroy, not a problem.