For months I have been vaguely thinking I should try the spanakopita at Melissa on Smith St in Collingwood, but by the time I get there on Saturday afternoon it is closed. I managed to get there earlier recently and it was open! I thought my timing would be rewarded, but I was thwarted – they had sold out of spanakopita and I had to have the tiropita or nothing.

melissa1 tiropita at Melissa on Smith St

Tiropita is basically the same thing but without the spinach. It’s delicious, but the spinach really adds something to the cheese. Sheena at This is Weeny got spanakopita recently on her adventures along Gertrude St and Smith St. My quest is not yet complete…

melissa2 tiropita at Melissa on Smith St

tiropita at Melissa on Smith St

5 thoughts on “tiropita at Melissa on Smith St

• 22 June 2009 at 8:57 am

aah yes i’ve had the same problems when visiting Melissa – definitely worth trying. Best spanikopita in melbourne!

• 22 June 2009 at 10:27 am

mmm the spanakopita there is very good!

• 22 June 2009 at 8:27 pm

Best Spanakopita? Not as good as my Yiayia’s I bet! :P

Melissa’s do this “cake” thing called kollyva. It’s boiled barley wheat, sultanas, almonds and sesame seeds flavoured with star anise and icing sugar.

It’s not a strict cake cos there’s nothing binding it but it is covered by a thick fondant.

It’s given out at church to commemorate anniversaries of death, people bring their own along, the priest blesses the cake and then it’s given out to the congregation in paper bags.

Now Melissa’s kollyva comes with Melissa’s branded paper bags, and as a child I always wondered why people called Melissa had always died (cos it was printed on the bag).

I remember crying to my mum one night that my friend Melissa at school was going to die judging by the kollyva we kept getting every week at church!

• 9 September 2009 at 5:12 pm

best spanakopita i’ve ever had. i would love to know how to make it so my whole family can eat it all the time

• 9 September 2009 at 5:15 pm

I’ve been told you can buy whole trays of the spanakopita and tiropita to take home, keep in the freezer, and bake yourself.