This large scroll thing was installed a few months ago on the space between Macarthur St and Parliament Place on the border of Melbourne and East Melbourne. I never get public art – it always seems to be huge geometric shapes that are so abstract as to be architecture – actually I see more art in some architecture than I see in these things. The last time I walked past I was immensely cheered by the blue plastic fence that had been placed around the alleged art. It made it much better!

publicart does anyone like public art?

does anyone like public art?

6 thoughts on “does anyone like public art?

• 5 April 2009 at 12:30 pm

The park is called Burston Reserve (i’m not quite sure why – (perhaps in relation to the town of Burston in England, scene of the longest running strike in British history from 1914-1939) The art you’re referring to is actually a tribute to a century of women’s suffrage in Victoria (1908-2008?) and is a representation of the Monster Petition – 30,000signatures in support of women’s right to vote.

Sometimes Art has a story and that makes it much more interesting.

• 5 April 2009 at 1:37 pm

Sorry, I don’t buy it Illusionary. I’m not saying that this piece doesn’t have a story, but that a story is sufficient, no matter how important the story, or earnest the intentions. Art should engage. This, like most public “Art”, looks like a doodle on the architect’s blueprint that the contractors took literally,, and is about as engaging. Sure, it might commemerate an important chapter in the story of women’s rights, but how the fuck is anyone going to know if there’s nothing to encourage them to go and read the plinth?

• 5 April 2009 at 6:25 pm

Ooooh i disagree with this one! I LOVE this sculpture! Thanks illusionary for the explanation. Once a week I tram into the city, past this very piece and it makes me smile every time. I’d never taken to time to hop off and find out what it was actually about, but I love the shape and the movement and the curves of it. Its nice. And knowing the story behind it I like it even more. I also like on the 112 tramline the big brightly coloured abstract art work of the side of the carpark at the corner of Victoria parade. These huge bright geometric shapes make an otherwise drab boring carpark just that little bit more exciting.
    Not being originally from Melbourne, I am constantly fascinated with the art around the streets, tucked away in not always busy public places. I love being suprised with something new to see, something that someone has taken the time to create and erect for all the see, in a place where otherwise would be gray, boring, concrete and plain drab buildings. I love the colour and interesting art all over melbourne, that I miss so much in most other cities, and I think it should be applauded!

• 16 April 2009 at 4:03 pm

A few times I went past this before the fencing and it was being used by rollerbladers. Might have something to do with the fencing.

• 23 April 2009 at 10:21 pm

John, I challenge you to create anything better.
    Speak for yourself when you say it doesn’t engage, there are many that enjoy it.