The well liked and positively reviewed Brunswick St cafe Filter has closed and the space is up for lease. Two years ago it scored an impressive 17/20 from the breakfast blog. More recently, a review from October 2008 by Delishaz criticised the lengthy wait, although the food was still highly regarded. Who will move in next?

filterclosed1 Filter cafe has closed

Filter cafe has closed

12 thoughts on “Filter cafe has closed

• 24 February 2009 at 12:50 pm

That’s a shame! We’ve had a number of lovely meals there (and didn’t suffer long wait times). It’s not often that I favour a savoury breakfast over sweet, but the folks at Filter convinced me with their mushrooms on toast and terrific basil dressing.

• 24 February 2009 at 3:36 pm

I think they suffered through the winter when the building repairs had scaffolding hiding their entrance for months. Maybe that wrecked their financial viability?

• 24 February 2009 at 2:12 pm

It’s been closed for a few months now. It happened pretty suddenly. I’m guessing they’re having trouble letting out the premises.

• 24 February 2009 at 3:33 pm

It is a shame because it was a good place. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt and wondering if they were just closed for a summer holiday, and had forgotten to put a friendly note in the window telling us about it, but then the real estate sticker went up and I realised it was final.

ps welcome back! I thought you had stopped writing.

• 25 February 2009 at 8:55 pm

Where else is good for Eggs Benedict?

• 25 February 2009 at 11:35 pm

Apart from Pheast48 in Armadale (review forthcoming) I have not had eggs Benedict for a long time, as I love all the new vaguely middle eastern baked eggs and other egg experiments now available. Check out Enni in Thornbury, Mixed Business in Clifton Hill (technically it’s in North Fitzroy but no one thinks so) and Arcadia on Gertrude St.

• 26 February 2009 at 9:26 pm

Mixed Business is great, but not sure if they do Eggs Benedict. They do other stuff so well anyway.

Haven’t been to Arcadia for years.

And haven’t been to Enni.

• 25 April 2009 at 8:01 am

Hello all, yes FILTER is closed. For all who are wondering, it was my business and we sold it id Dec 08 after 4 years, not because of the financial crisis but because we were bored.

It had gone as far as we wanted to take it and we couldn’t be there anymore.

After 20 years in cafes it was time to do something different and actually have a life rather than work 70 hours a week for very little reward.

We got an offer that was miles to good to refuse, so we left immediately. The scaffolding had nothing to do with it.

Thank you to all our customers but for us its time for a new life…one without a cafe!!!

• 25 April 2009 at 12:57 pm

Thanks for commenting – judging by most of the responses you are much missed!

• 25 April 2009 at 12:11 pm

I only discovered Filter late last year but enthusiastically took up their bacon benedict – the best in Melbourne that I’d had! I quite liked the atmosphere and the coffee was reliably good. The twins running it were amusing too :)

But then they never reopened after Christmas and I’ve been in mourning ever since. Where now? Was I the curse?…

I love Arcadia, but the staff changes late last year have affected it. Still, it’s (usually) very good.

• 6 August 2009 at 5:11 pm

It’s nice to be missed but I don’t miss it.

By the way, I haven’t had a decent breakfast since I closed the place.

• Pingback: noooooo…… « Delishaz’s Weblog