Philthy’s commentary about pedestrians on the temporary wall surrounding the cheesegrater artist building lasted about a day before being painted over, but they now seem to have given up painting over the graffiti. Can someone translate the Spanish? It says something about streets and time, but that’s all I know.

walk layer upon layer at the cheesegrater

wall2 layer upon layer at the cheesegrater

wall3 layer upon layer at the cheesegrater

layer upon layer at the cheesegrater

6 thoughts on “layer upon layer at the cheesegrater

• 22 February 2009 at 12:47 am

Well..the Spanish is a bit rusty but

Everyone in the streets..show your body.

and

What is the time? although What time is it is “Que hora es”

So either my Spanish interpretation is bad (very possible) or someone is learning to speak Spanish via writing on the walls (possible due to the scribbles). Or there is option C, it’s Fitzroy and nothing written on the walls ever make sense.

• 22 February 2009 at 1:00 am

Thanks – I’ll go with option C!

• 29 May 2009 at 6:49 pm

Sounds like Spanish, maybe who wrote it has been living there for long and his mother tongue is rusty.
    It says: ‘Everyone to the streets, to show to the body, that its already time’
    I guess whoever wrote it might have wanted to say ‘to show the body’ but that should have been ‘a mostrar el cuerpo’.
    ‘Que ya es hora’ is an expression meaning that its already high time for something to happen, generally.
    Or maybe I just don’t get it.

• 31 May 2009 at 1:25 pm

There is something similar way up along St George’s Rd: I’m thinking the logic was:
    ‘I’m an anarchist: hey yeah, take to the streets baby. Hmmm, that sounds a bit wet, but in Spain they once had anarchists who actually formed a mass movement and even had a revolution and got to shoot priests. Maybe if I graffiti in Spanish, the pueblo will ascendare. El pueblo, unido, jamar sera vienetta!’

hey it’s worth a try.