Is this the French toast that can beat Gingerlee‘s? The French toast with maple yogurt and hazlenuts at new cafe restaurant Provenance on Smith St (where Deelish cafe used to be) is outstandingly delicious. I’m very impressed with Provenance for several reasons.

provenance4 breakfast at Provenance on Smith St

My friend had the scrambled eggs with cured trout, which was simply presented but excellent, with wonderful multigrain toast. The coffee is very good. You can download the complete menu (163kb PDF) and they’re also on FaceBook.

provenance3 breakfast at Provenance on Smith St

The interior is light and open and preserves the wonderul pressed tin ceiling of the original Coles grocery store, the first premises of the Coles retail empire. Although the Provenace website is a bit amateurish, it does contain (albeit on an old Deelish page) a recognition of the building’s history as the former Coles shop. I really like that and I’m looking forward to returning to try the dinner menu.

provenance1 breakfast at Provenance on Smith St

provenance2 breakfast at Provenance on Smith St

498 breakfast at Provenance on Smith St

Courtesy of Fitzroy local history photograph collection / ID: CL PIC 498 / photographer: unknown / copyright: Fitzroy library owns image (although it may be out of copyright and in the public domain) / used under the fair dealings provisions of the Copyright Act 1968 / c1914-1919

breakfast at Provenance on Smith St

9 thoughts on “breakfast at Provenance on Smith St

• 13 February 2009 at 11:48 am

Dave, who runs it, is only a wee whipper-snapper too. Makes me wonder where the years have gone…

• 13 February 2009 at 12:10 pm

Delish was great and had some fantastic dishes. Unfortunately, the new owners/chefs got rid of all the good dishes. No more meatloaf sandwiches, chicken breast burgers, lasagne, or Tuesday night curry buffets. Yet another place succumbed to yuppification, albeit their prices are reasonable.

• 13 February 2009 at 12:49 pm

I never got to try the curry buffet, but Provenance is not too yuppy. The prices are very reasonable and I am planning to have dinner there soon. Kangaroo is on the menu and I like that a lot.

• 17 February 2009 at 2:11 pm

I’ve been there a few times. Coffee is fab and Dave who runs it has done a great job with the menu. i don’t think it’s been yuppied at all. i’ts too bad the old menu items couldn’t be kept but i reckon the new menu speaks for itself. Will continue to go back, great place my friends and i like to go.

• 17 February 2009 at 3:31 pm

I’m looking forward to trying more of the new menu, especially the dinner menu. Smith St keeps getting better!

• 25 March 2009 at 10:23 am

Thanks a lot for the kind words and words of advice. Wanted to let everyone know we updated website and are working on new produce night- quince and quail in April. Stay tuned

• 25 March 2009 at 11:18 am

Hi Dave, thanks and it was nice to meet you the other day with James. I’ve got a post about the scrambled eggs with chilli ready to be published next week!

• 24 April 2009 at 2:11 pm

Kerri & I pop in for a coffee almost every weekday accompanied by breakfast at least once a week as well.

James the Barista Extraordinaire dishes up consistently yummy soy lattes whilst Susan the Food Femme Fatal expresses her creativity with quality produce.

Don’t let me forget Dave (who could forget Dave). What an inspiring young gentelman. Always trying something innovative & new; currently wearing an Interior Decorator’s hat – working on just the right look for the interior of the first ever Coles store to be opened.

Keep up the good work guys, look forward to celebrating year after year of success at Provenance.

Cath

• 24 April 2009 at 3:49 pm

I was impressed by Dave too when I met him – and like you I look forward to my next meal at Provenance!