In case people don’t know about it, the Yarra Council offers a free service where you can report graffiti on public or private property and they come and clean it off for free. If some illiterate losers have placed some ugly tags on your wall, email or call the Council to report it and the cleaning crew will come and clean it off ASAP. Read here for more details. I’d like to thank the Council for their prompt response to my recent request to remove the messy meaningless tags on the walls of the apartment building I live in. My neighbours and I are very pleased with the result.

Yarra Council free graffiti cleaning service

18 thoughts on “Yarra Council free graffiti cleaning service

• 6 February 2009 at 1:24 pm

ey Brian, greetings from byron bay :)

i only discovered this great council service a few months back too, a neighbour told me he called the council & they came out very promptly (within a day!?) & painted over the tags (on a recently painted front wall) with some spare paint we still had.

apparently the kids were “very young looking” when spotted by the neighbour hard at work about 6am one weekday morning (deep in sleepy clifton hill). who gets up that early!?? no teenagers i know! unless they havent been to bed yet.

tags drive me nuts…

• 6 February 2009 at 4:29 pm

On holiday? Yarra does a good job with tagging. I’ve never heard anyone have anything good to say about tagging. It’s like littering – there is no excuse, no justification and no purpose for it to exist.

• 7 February 2009 at 6:06 pm

tags are the best part of melbourne

• 8 February 2009 at 2:29 pm

What utter twaddle. No one has the right to damage or interfere with someone else’s property. End of story. I don’t agree with sending people to gaol for non-violent crimes, but this is irrelevant. As Iveson states in the article you mention, “most people find tags far uglier and more annoying than colourful pieces”. I don’t want ugly meaningless rubbish attached to my property without my consent, and neither does anyone else. And I’m sick of hearing whinging morons making excuses why they are special and should not be held responsible for their behaviour and its consequences.

• 8 February 2009 at 4:04 pm

But you post images of stencils and paste up’s on your blog all the time and waffle on about how great they are?

It’s all one and the same, born from the same source, a lot of the times done by the same people. Infact, after this great informative post about how bad tags are, you go and post a photo of a Casio tag on a stop sign and talk about how great it is? WTF? Casio is a writer, maybe even the guy who wrote on your ‘apartment’ building…

You need to work out where you stand, you are either in fa of graffiti (all forms, colourful or not) or you ain’t.

There are plenty of places south of the river that are tag free, maybe that’s more your style…

• 8 February 2009 at 4:12 pm

If you’ve been reading my blog then you’ll know that I wrote a recent post questioning the legitimacy of where stencils and paste-ups are placed by street artists, and whether they have ethical responsibilities in relation to the rest of the community in placing art on public and private property.

I don’t believe all graffiti is equal. Most tags are meaningless rubbish and a nuisance. Many graphical works have meaning for many people and increase the quality of public space. There are easthetic and political differences between works so declaring them to all be of equal merit is in my opinion simply false.

This is a complex issue and simplifying it to an ‘us or them’, ‘with us or against us’, argument is pointless. I’m trying to discuss some of these complexities, so consider what I wrote in the post I linked to above.

• 8 February 2009 at 4:35 pm

l didn’t ask if you believed all graffiti was equal, l stated it was, but thanks for clarifying something you clearly know nothing about.

• 8 February 2009 at 5:51 pm

I think most people would disagree that all graffiti is equal. And the comments on my previous posts indicate that others think tags are rubbish. So lots of people who know nothing agree on something. How would you like someone scratching your car? Is that art?

• 20 February 2009 at 1:23 pm

this “it’s all the same” and “you’re either with us, or you should move out” – frakin hell, sounds like George Bush has retired to the blogosphere. and this from a presumed ‘anarchist’? (sorry WW if that presumption is wrong)

i think it’s WW who needs to decide what he/she stands for, if anything, or is simply prone to scatterbrain shifting of your ‘values’ when someone says something you don’t agree with.

you can walk the tightrope of an existentialist wank by saying that a few texta strokes from a talentless teen is equal to something that would make all our eyes pop in awe & wish it would stay a long time, but sayin it’s so don’t make it so, when at the pointy end it’s everyone else who has to see that crap until someone else (or us taxpayers) pay to have it removed – no one lives in a bubble in ‘civilised society’.

if you’ve got a problem with the reality (as distinct from the rules) of ‘civilised society’, then perhaps it’s WW who needs to find an alternative reality elsewhere?

• 20 February 2009 at 4:02 pm

It’s nice to know I’m not alone in seeing a vast difference between tagging and street art. Basically I think it comes down to the intent of the communication – a stencil for example containing an ironic political comment speaks to its audience and says ‘this is my opinion, what is yours?’ A tag, in contrast, communicates nothing to the general public viewing it in a public space. It is a private message from one illiterate to another. ‘Wazza woz ere ’89’ is not art…

• 20 March 2009 at 12:01 am

Totally agree re tagging vs actual street art. I’d happy slap the stupid twat who tagged my car (along with every fence, bin and letterbox on my street), but I’m a huge fan of good street art and photograph the best stuff I see all over the world. To say it’s all one and the same is such bullshit. That’s like saying my granny’s oil paintings have the same status as a Caravaggio. Bullshit they do. Art is about meaning and aesthetics. Tagging is like a dog pissing on a tree.

• 6 October 2010 at 7:50 pm

The link to the council details does not seem to work.

I agree with you stance on this, my property backs onto an alley so tags and graffiti are par for the course unfortunately, however if I catch the little fuckers in the act I am sorely tempted to to scribe my initials into their foreheads with the rusty compass from my school days.

And with joy I will proclaim ‘it’s art’