In the perennial favourite for most-cursed location that has temporarily hosted more failed businesses than I can recall, the former home of Leche will soon become ‘Cinnamon Grand Cabin’ Sri Lankan restaurant according to the newly installed LED sign on the wall.

I was sad to see Leche close after operating for only a few months but, given my recent visits to the Sri Lankan restaurants in the CBD I am pleased that something new I will probably like is coming to Fitzroy.

cinnamon-cabin new Sri Lankan restaurant coming soon to Johnston St

new Sri Lankan restaurant coming soon to Johnston St

8 thoughts on “new Sri Lankan restaurant coming soon to Johnston St

• 12 January 2016 at 9:34 pm

Brian I saw this today walking home today in the evening. Sri Lankan could work here, if only because there ain’t that many of them around and their food can be very good. Will be keeping a watch on this one when it opens. I also walked past Los Amatos just over the road, they had a board out welcoming in the new year and what they had to offer but yet again they had the closed sign up. This place never seems to be open but I will get there one day!

• 15 March 2016 at 8:38 pm

Its already open. food is fantastic.

• 29 April 2016 at 9:14 pm

I think it is over. It has been closed every night this week.

• 14 January 2016 at 1:58 pm

Brian – you may have already written about this, but do you know that Little Creatures Dining Hall is closing (www.broadsheet.com.au/melbourne/food-and-drink/article/little-creatures-dining-hall-close) … and do you have any idea what might be replacing it? Great space, which I hope doesn’t fall prey to demolition and multi-storey apartments.

• 14 January 2016 at 2:02 pm

Oh … I just read elsewhere, on the Little Creatures Facebook page, that the rumours are of a high rise apartment complex on the site. Inevitable I suppose, but a great pity.

• 6 July 2016 at 9:01 pm

I see that there is paper up on the windows and the lights are on so another optimistic crew are at work renovating the space to make this place a viable business. Wonder what it will be now?

• 6 July 2016 at 11:19 pm

It’s opening in August. Called Fitzroy Social. The new owners have a number of other pubs in Melbourne so should know what they are doing.