Sir Charles has been open now for more than six months, but it’s difficult to keep up with all the new openings and it takes time for me to catch up and visit them all. I’ve been sidetracked by other newer Johnston St openings like Leche and Uncle and Jak. But Sir Charles (where Beans and Bagels used to be) is impressive and can’t be overlooked.

A friend who shares my curiosity for visiting new places ordered the salmon benedict – smoked salmon rillettes, panko crumbed eggs, chili hollandaise and roti. I rarely suffer menu envy but in this instance I did as my little taste confirmed this dish to be exceptional.

I don’t regret ordering the egg plantation – truffled black rice cake, grilled miso eggplant, black sesame paste and poached eggs – but in terms of taste, if not, appearance, it’s not the best dish on the menu. I could have eaten a lot more of the moreish rice cake.

sir-charles-2 brunch at Sir Charles on Johnston St

At about 1pm on a Saturday Sir Charles had barely a table left and yet the mood inside was calm and the service was smooth and efficient. The coffee is good and it provides an impressive experience. It’s the current king of food as art, and is significantly better than Archie’s All Day on Gertrude St in this regard.

sir-charles-1 brunch at Sir Charles on Johnston St

brunch at Sir Charles on Johnston St

4 thoughts on “brunch at Sir Charles on Johnston St

• 2 September 2015 at 9:56 pm

Brian we went to Sir Charles a month ago and I can not remember the details now but what I remember is that the breakfast was OK, a bit different than I was expecting and the coffee was also OK without being exceptional which means, for us, they will struggle to stay on our radar. The other thing I remember is that the front door isn’t self closing so on a cold morning we found ourselves getting up to close the door regularly to keep out the cold draft while I recalled my father’s old saying every time I didn’t close a door at home, “were you born in a tent like Henry Lawson?’

The other issue which is now common, is that we were served by about 6 different people for the experience. One took our coffee order, another the meal, then another delivered coffee, another delivered the meal, others took the plates away, took the next coffee order eventually etc. etc. anyway you don’t build any relationships with your waiter. That happens elsewhere in Fitzroy I know and is common.

• 2 September 2015 at 10:37 pm

I agree that the coffee was good without being exceptional, and the food is very good but is nearly too clever for itself. I’ve never returned to Industry Beans for that reason. As for building a relationship with my waiter, I don’t want to do that and I don’t care how they organise the work as long as it happens.

• 3 September 2015 at 9:59 am

I agree with Bernie that the not-self-closing door is a terrible thing! I’m glad I was on the other side of the building, for if I was in the path of the breeze I would have been one angry unhappy person. I hope they fix that quick smart.

The salmon rillettes is so good it’s something I’d happily return for, and there were other very interesting items on the menu I’d like to try. I think it’s a place to go when you’re willing to experiment, though it will never become a ‘comfort’ haunt.

• 21 September 2015 at 1:00 pm

We’ve been enjoying the occasional breakfast here, but a red flag went up last week when we queried some menu changes and the waiter told us the place had recently changed hands. According to him. the former owner/head chef is staying on for a few months to help with the hand-over. I hope my sinking feeling is proven wrong because I’ve really quite enjoyed all my meals there (and the service has been good too).