After about 3 and half years Big Lou’s doughnuts is leaving Fitzroy. My initial assessment of the business drew a sharp response from the business owner, and it has lasted longer than I predicted. Now, like Shocolate, it is closing its Fitzroy premises and declaring it is moving, without explaining where. Is this a move or a closure? Moving on without saying where you’re going is hardly a declaration of the kind of success that requires bigger and better premises.

big-lous-moving Big Lou's is leaving Fitzroy

Big Lou’s is leaving Fitzroy

5 thoughts on “Big Lou’s is leaving Fitzroy

• 28 May 2015 at 8:53 am

Damn, I actually really enjoyed a late night donut from Big Lou’s…

• 28 May 2015 at 9:14 pm

Glad to see it gone – American style chain store aspirants really don’t sit well on the old strip. San Churro, I’m looking at you …

• 29 May 2015 at 1:55 pm

American style chain stores….you mean like burgers, meatballs, chicken wings and other assorted dude fude…the whole suburb is infested with it

• 29 May 2015 at 9:01 pm

I remember this story and wasn’t surprised to see your headline “Big Lou’s is leaving Fitzroy”. However your mention of three and half years having passed really shook me; three and half years! It seems like yesterday.

• 30 May 2015 at 8:54 pm

As a vegetarian, I can say that their late-night vegan jam donuts will be very sorely missed.

Had a quick read of your ‘initial assessment’ post and comments, and my own two cents worth is that Big Lou’s actually fits in very well with the character of the street after hours – when people coming out of the bars and clubs want late-night takeaway food from there and the several kebab shops nearby. The ‘alternative’ nature of the street really doesn’t count for much in the hours when those same shops are shut anyway.

I do agree on the typos front – I find these very off-putting, although less so in an industry like food service where the quality of the marketing and the quality of the product itself have little influence on each other. If it was a company doing something more cerebral, that many typos would be a massive red flag for me.