Twitter is remarkable for news reporting. I heard the sirens and watched emergency vehicles flashing north on Brunswick St from my balcony. Initially I could not tell if they were headed somewhere near or simply passing through to somewhere further away. Twitter gave me the news.

First, just before 9pm, an obtuse emergency warning to stay indoors and avoid the smoke from the fire, but without saying why. I guessed chemicals from a factory or warehouse. It’s surprising how much real work is still done in the back streets of Fitzroy. Commercial premises have chemicals that can be dangerous. I heeded the warning. Then the photos started to appear. Lots of them. Here is a summary. And we soon became aware that the risk was asbestos. Scary. I hope no one was exposed.

fire on Westgarth St last night

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *