So Soulfood’s reinvention as a generic, no longer vegetarian, cafe less than 2 years ago worked out well. Not. It has closed. I assume abandoning the vegetarian menu was meant to bring in more new customers, but it seemed to merely annoy and alienate the existing ones, who stopped coming.

soulfoodclosed2014 Soulfood has closed on Smith St

Soulfood has closed on Smith St

6 thoughts on “Soulfood has closed on Smith St

• 6 June 2014 at 9:33 pm

Looks like it’s reopened as hex already. Not super busy on a Friday night. Probably missing the all important social media strategy (yuck)

• 6 June 2014 at 9:53 pm

Interesting, thanks for letting me know. I wasn’t sure if the writing in the window was meant to mean anything.

• 18 June 2014 at 5:16 am

This was the only thing on line i could find about the new place. Annoying. But i liked it. The waitresses were painting murals in between orders, super cute. Typical artists, heads in the clouds instead of fingers on icloud.

• 19 August 2014 at 3:43 pm

Soul Food introduced organic meat because there was a demand for it from their regular customers. The people who objected were those who claimed to be customers yet hadn’t been there for 5 years and then complained because they could no longer get a meal for $6. I used to pay $2 for a pack of smokes! Rent goes up like crazy, organic food costs more than a small car, junkies want your last gold coins, parking at $3.60 per hour, I don’t know how anyone (other than a celebrity chef) can survive on Smith Street. People are so quick to judge.

• 19 August 2014 at 4:38 pm

Regular customers at a well known vegetarian restaurant wanted organic meat? I simply don’t believe this. From a customer point of view, Soul food was doing reasonable business before it stopped being vegetarian and then it immediately lost customers and spiralled into decline, then closed. It lost it’s only unique selling point on Smith St.

• 15 February 2015 at 2:05 pm

I remember the manager. He’d been there for like 20 years..
    Don’t get me wrong.. I’m vegan, but 20 years of vegans chuckin’ fits because they’re sure there’s bacon in gluten in dairy in the pumpkin soup would be enough for me to go nuts/get bored/trash the place :)