It looks like Tandoori Times Indian restaurant on Gertrude St has closed. I had a disappointing meal there in 2011 and haven’t been back since. It was probably the worst Indian restaurant in Fitzroy and had been prosecuted for food hygiene violations in 2010. With Gertrude St seeing the revamped Builders Arms hotel and the newly refreshed Anada nearby, the shabby Tandoori Times simply could not compete for customers.

tandooritimesclosed Tandoori Times on Gertrude St has closed

Tandoori Times on Gertrude St has closed

4 thoughts on “Tandoori Times on Gertrude St has closed

• 30 June 2013 at 9:09 am

Good riddance! Had probably the worst Indian meal of my life here last year (didn’t know about the health notices at the time).

Indian restaurants in Fitzroy are obviously an endangered species, with Bangla Sweets also closing recently. We are still looking for a decent Indian in the hood, with the Fitzroy Curry House also failing to impress.

• 30 June 2013 at 4:00 pm

I’ve struggled to find a consistently decent Indian restaurant in Fitzroy that I would return to regularly, but there are a couple in Collingwood that I can vouch for – Indian Tukka (corner of Victroria Pde and Wellington St) is definitely worth a try – service can be a tad slow at times but the food always tastes extremely fresh and the flavours are amazing. I also enjoy eating at Punjubi Curry Cafe (Johnston St, near the Tote), which serves food of a consistently good standard and well priced (amazing tandoori chicken naan). It’s always heaving with taxi drivers, so they must be doing something right!

• 2 July 2013 at 9:55 pm

Agree on Punjabi, good service, their website booking is reliable and prompt.

The food is mostly good, depending what you order. Can be a little too much sauce for some of the food, and not much else. But it’s mostly good.

Tandoori chicken itself is good as well.

• 2 July 2013 at 9:58 pm

I should have added, I used to eat at a tandoori times around 2003 and it was quite good.

I moved to the other end of smith street in 2006 and stopped going, it definitely declined after that time.