Sometimes people make me so mad. I tried to enjoy the open day at Abbotsford Convent last Sunday but it was very hot and crowded, the suburbans in their monster trucks were turning parking into something akin to interacting with a bunch of footballers in a bar and the C3 contemporary artspace was full of bogans touching and playing with the art, as Melbourne Jeweller explains. It was all horrid and I made a rapid escape, but not before seeing and totally empathising with this work of art in the courtyard. That’s exactly how I felt.

abbotsfordconvent I despair for humanity

I despair for humanity

6 thoughts on “I despair for humanity

• 15 November 2009 at 2:24 pm

Can’t stand crowds like that, especially in this ick heat.

OT – back to the facade falling off the bluestone building; my dad often says it’s very difficult to get cement to adhere to bluestone. You have to wet the bluestone then throw handfuls of neat cement powder at it, so that you end up with dobs of cement sticking to it.
    Leave it for a full 24 hours then you can render the facade.

• 16 November 2009 at 10:26 am

Great pic! Love the convent, but the suburban tourists are a menace. Planning to drop by soon – now that Kappaya has relocated there I simply MUST…

• 16 November 2009 at 10:29 am

Oh, does that mean Kappaya on Johnston St has closed? I thought the convent was in addition to their original cafe?

• 17 November 2009 at 8:57 pm

Hi Brian
    It was all very horrid indeed. I love how you’ve connected the feelings you had as you fled the gallery to this sculpture – gorgeous!

• 21 November 2009 at 4:40 pm

hi Brian – after 3 years, Kaji and Yoshi have moved to larger premises @ the convent. The idea was to have more space for customers, and be in more serene, creative surroundings. Johnston St was open limited hours while the convent premises were being set up.

• 21 November 2009 at 6:57 pm

I’ll definitely go on a normal weekend to see their new place!