From peeking through the window the downstairs bar at the Laundry looks no different, but it has been closed for several weeks for renovations following a change in ownership. I believe the upstairs is different. Does anyone know what is new at the Laundry?

laundryreopens the Laundry bar on Johnston St reopens

the Laundry bar on Johnston St reopens

4 thoughts on “the Laundry bar on Johnston St reopens

• 4 November 2009 at 1:18 pm

I walked past the Laundry last night hoping Soul-A-Go-Go might be back this weekend, but – as in your photo – the signs spoke mainly of ‘retro classics’. Another poster says that many of these retro classics will be played by cover bands. Another long-standing, interesting Fitzroy venue which used to be popular with locals now owned by people chasing the mainstream suburban dollar? Please tell me I’m wrong, but I don’t think I am…

• 4 November 2009 at 1:59 pm

I think lots of people are wondering! Audiomonkey was going to let me know if he got booked to work there again, but there has been no news. The website is blank (did the domain get sold as part of the business?) and no one seems to know what is happening, and whether downstairs gigs like Virus are canned along with the upstairs gigs you mention.

• 5 November 2009 at 9:36 am

Thankfully it looks like I was wrong! About Soul-A-Go-Go, anyway – it’s on at the ‘new’ Laundry this Saturday 7 November. Looks like I jumped to ‘worst case scenario’ conclusions a bit too fast… I guess they are opening for business this weekend – wonder what the other nights will be, and how many they carry over?

• 25 February 2010 at 10:01 pm

I can say with some authority – since I am resident sound engineer at Revellers Bar North (ex Laundry) – that Soul-a-go-go will no longer be at the venue, however, the new owners are very keen to restore the venue as a live music venue which supports local bands and musicians. Already they have a great line-up of local acts… If you’re interested in checking out who’s playing, check out Revellers Bar North on myspace.

Downstairs has now been totally renovated, and I must say, is far more inviting and looks much better than before! Upstairs has also had a clean-up, but retains the same basic floor-plan.

The PA systems have both been repositioned and re-tuned for better coverage.

I urge you to check out the new venue before you judge it.