This long neglected former lunchbar on George St could be the location for the next cool backstreet Fitzroy cafe. But now is not the best time to be opening a new business.

milkbar1 ripe for renewal

milkbar2 ripe for renewal

ripe for renewal

6 thoughts on “ripe for renewal

• 25 June 2009 at 3:10 pm

There are a lot of old shops in North Carlton that have been transformed in residences. They have awnings that cover the footpaths and are usually on corners. I haven’t seen as many in Fitzroy. I assume a lot of these shops were things like bakers or butchers perhaps? I’d be interested in hearing more about historical shopping in Fitzroy. I’m sure you’re aware Brian that one side of Smith street used to be city of Fitzroy and the other City of Collingwood and as a result they developed differently. What’s the shop used for now? Another placed zoned business being used as a residence?

• 25 June 2009 at 4:14 pm

Fitzroy does not seem to have any corner buildings with intact awnings like in North Carlton and Clifton Hill. This place looks abandoned.

• 25 June 2009 at 7:41 pm

This particular place, i’m pretty sure, is actually a house. I see a little white dog in there every day, it barks at me.

• 25 June 2009 at 7:45 pm

I went past the other night and there are lights on inside so it appears to be an ordinary house.

• 25 June 2009 at 11:05 pm

Exactly. I spoke about this to a certain someone over a year ago. That place is a gold mine waiting to happen.

Right opposite Fitzroy Primary too so a perfect spot for the yummy mummies to grab a coffee post kid drop.

• 25 June 2009 at 11:12 pm

I think there should be a cafe called Yummy Mummy. Or maybe Monster Truck Pram.