The current exhibition, ‘Splintered guilders’ by Dylan Martorell at Lamington Drive gallery is another sound installation work with mechanical sound making machines and organic instruments made from potatoes and other objects. I was not able to be there when the artist was playing the instruments, but the sound is constant from the mechanically circulating branch scraping on the ground and from recorded sounds.

lamingtonpotato1 playing the potato at Lamington Drive gallery

After Found Sound in Carlton and the noise at Conical I think I have reached my tolerance for sound art for a while. It finishes this weekend so get in quick if you’re interested.

lamingtonpotato2 playing the potato at Lamington Drive gallery

lamingtonpotato3 playing the potato at Lamington Drive gallery

lamingtonpotato4 playing the potato at Lamington Drive gallery

playing the potato at Lamington Drive gallery

11 thoughts on “playing the potato at Lamington Drive gallery

• 18 June 2009 at 2:12 pm

Um, shame you’ve used all those pictures without crediting the artist. BAM!

• 18 June 2009 at 2:24 pm

I took these photos. The exhibition is called ‘Splintered Guilders’ by Dylan Martorell. Your point is?

• 18 June 2009 at 2:27 pm

Well, you know. Who writes up an exhibition without saying who the artist is? Plus it’s standard practice to publish image credits with pictures of artworks. Like, errr,
    Dylan Martorell, Splintered Gilders installation view, 2009. Image by Brian Hypocrite.

• 18 June 2009 at 2:36 pm

Fair enough, I had only used the name of the exhibition and not the artist, so I have corrected that. It seems rather obvious from the context that the photos are of the exhibition. I use additional image text to explain in more detail when required, which wasn’t necessary here.

• 18 June 2009 at 2:39 pm

BUT THAT POST WAS UP – ARTIST UNCREDITED – FOR WHAT, AT LEAST TWENTY MINUTES!!! I’m calling the cops. (You’re lucky I didn’t call you a parasite.)

• 18 June 2009 at 2:52 pm

You’re making a completely false and irrelevant analogy. I don’t think my omission of the artist’s name constitutes a breach of copyright. It was simply poor writing. Got nothing better to do this afternoon?

• 18 June 2009 at 3:12 pm

Those potatoes and other objects can fuck off to the gutter where they belong.

…amirite?

• 18 June 2009 at 3:33 pm

I’m sure it would have been far more interesting to hear the live performance, but I could not get there on those days. If I really hated it I wouldn’t post the review. Lamington’s shows are really diverse and worth attending.

• 18 June 2009 at 5:50 pm

I don’t own a dressing gown, so it is sartorial slander!

• 18 June 2009 at 7:06 pm

What a absolutely ,amazingly saintly, indeed Godly use of the harmonic attenuations of elaborate eloquence in said potato sounds! I live on a potato and cattle farm in N.S.W.[email not in action]I am glad,Fitzroy types are still experimenting and promoting humble things.It is getting harder for me to read all the organic magazines, and Renew Magazine from another Suburb nearby.I found it difficult to live in even Fitzroy, last time in Melb. Costly place. An interesting website..Congrats.