On Saturday 4 April I had a delicious breakfast at Shire cafe (review coming soon) and watched out the window as a man and a woman dragged wooden pallets out into the street. I thought it looked like the beginnings of a community garden, and after finishing my meal I went out to enquire. I met the leaders of the project, John (who was responsible for the Moor St garden) and Amelia, and they invited me to come back in the afternoon to contribute, which I did.
I had a fun afternoon of conversation, splinters and satisfaction. I learned how the gardens are made and met Tanya, Misha, Andrew and others who I apologise to for forgetting their names. As neighbors passed by and became aware of what was happening, more and more people joined in. The gardens are built from a stack of pallets that have had all but the outer slats removed (above). The removed slats are used to seal the sides of the pallets (below).
Soil is delivered (above) and the side of the stack of pallets is lined with cardboard (below).
After the cardboard, mesh cloth is used as more lining to help hold the soil in (above), and the soil is then shovelled in (below).
Finally the garden is planted and the area is tidied (below). I added some bedraggled and root-bound Vietnamese mint that needed to be repotted, and it should grow rapidly with so much space. There’s room for more plants so if you have something to add come down and plant it in the garden. The Spin Spin Handmade blog has already posted a photo of the garden.
I’d like to thanks Amelia and John for inviting me to participate and to everyone else who contributed: it was great to meet you!