On a recent Friday evening after a busy week my fridge was empty and my enthusiasm was elsewhere. I wanted to eat something quick and nourishing and I remembered that I have been meaning to try Happy Kappa on Brunswick St. Previously Gorillaz (unknown food that I never tried), the space is now transformed into a cosy place to eat in though, from what I saw, most people came in to order takeaway.

kappa2 Happy Kappa Japanese on Brunswick St

Happy Kappa specialises in the Japanese noodle soup ramen, but I wanted rice so I chose miso soup and unagi-don (eel on rice).

kappa3 Happy Kappa Japanese on Brunswick St

It was not the most tender unagi I have had but it was tasty and the rice was perfectly cooked. For $15, I was a happy camper at Happy Kappa.

kappa1 Happy Kappa Japanese on Brunswick St

Happy Kappa Japanese on Brunswick St

6 thoughts on “Happy Kappa Japanese on Brunswick St

• 20 March 2009 at 8:40 am

Grillaz was awesome. I was most sad to see them shut up shop.

• 25 March 2009 at 1:18 pm

Grillaz certainly was awesome, my boyfriend and I were very sad to see them go. But Happy Kappa is also excellent! Their ramen is some of the best I’ve ever had in Melbourne and compares very favourably to the ramen I’ve had in Japan. I just wish they had some pork dishes as well as all the chicken ones. (Char siu ramen is my favourite!)

I’m worried Happy Kappa is going to disappear like Grillaz did because that end of Brunswick St is pretty quiet. Whenever we eat there and ask how business is going they say it’s pretty slow. :( I hope it’s picked up recently, and I hope your review encourages people to go there!

• 25 March 2009 at 1:21 pm

It sounds like I should have tried Grillaz while I had the chance, but at least I can say good things about Happy Kappa. It would be great to see the north end of Brunswick St perk up a bit!

• 27 July 2009 at 1:23 pm

Happy Kappa has the best Ramen around.

I’ve tried many includeing one at a japanese restaurant furthur up brunswick st which I’m sure was a packet soup bought at any supermarket.

Happy Kappa takes pride in thier food, delicious!

• 20 September 2009 at 5:18 am

Seriously? the best ramen? I’ve tried a lot of ramen and also that in Japan, and this place doesn’t come close. Maybe they’re dying out slowly but I expected more from Happy Kappa. Its because of the recommendations here that I visited the place, both in Richmond and Brunswick, but was just left disappointed, hungry and short of money I could’ve spent else where.

Try UZU in caulfield and you’ll know where my point stands, or even Kimurakan on little burke st in the CBD.

I don’t mean to be rude and try to run ppl out of business, but a proper service must be given to customers, regardless of the business.

• 19 October 2009 at 6:31 pm

UZU? sorry, but it’s not good at all! I tried it out with my frens and it was nothing like those that i’ve eaten in japan at all.