Smith St bar Suede recently knocked out its side wall, removing a well known street art site in the process. Back in 2007 I posted about the old mural being replaced with a new one. Now this is also gone. The crew at Everfresh have already posted a photo (the last work on this wall was by Reka from Everfresh and Yok – please correct me if I have the artists wrong).

suedewall suede wall becomes a window

suede wall becomes a window

5 thoughts on “suede wall becomes a window

• 17 February 2009 at 1:12 pm

I suppose it’s sad that the art is gone but Suede was too much of a nightclub and never seemed to get much of the lunchtime crowd. Seems by just adding a bit of light in there, business is a lot better.

I remember ordering an iced coffee there once. What I got was coffee poured in a glass of ice. Technically, it was an iced coffee but not what most Melburnians would expect when you order one. Hmm..maybe next time I’ll order ice cream and see what happens.

• 17 February 2009 at 3:31 pm

I’ve had a similar experience where I got the impression that food was not their first priority, but maybe they’re changing their focus?

• 15 September 2009 at 1:58 pm

Does anyone know whether the previous Suede owners have set up shop elsewhere?

I always had brilliant service at Suede and the breakfasts were always delicious, but the new owners have ruined it for us all.

The food is no longer up to scratch and a friend whose daughter had her 21st there was extremely disappointed with the service and rudeness of the owner.

I hate the glass walls and the place has lost all its character… just another Mosquito Lounge or Stuzzi. Terrible and will never eat there again.

But if anyone knows where the previous owners went, could you please let me know.

Thanks.

• 15 September 2009 at 2:29 pm

I didn’t even know it has changed ownership! It’s always been a bit style over substance for me.

• 15 January 2010 at 4:47 pm

this venue seems so out of place on smith street. dont like it.