Viet Rose is an old school unpretentious cheap and cheerful Vietnamese and Chinese restaurant on Brunswick St that I have been eating at for years. It’s easy to eat well on Brunswick St or anywhere in Fitzroy really if you can afford to spend lots of money, but a good meal on a budget is more difficult to find. When you crave some Vietnamese comfort food or want something hot and spicy to pick you up, Viet Rose delivers.

viet1 dinner at Viet Rose on Brunswick St

On our last visit my girlfriend and I shared some prawn rice paper rolls, which are not the biggest or best I have ever had, but they were satisfying.

viet2 dinner at Viet Rose on Brunswick St

We then shared chicken with ginger and garlic and Chinese broccoli in oyster sauce and rice. For $35 we received a filling, delicious and healthy meal with plenty of vegetables – perfect for a quite midweek evening. Viet Rose has received mixed reviews concerning the quality of service but the spring rolls are highly rated.

viet3 dinner at Viet Rose on Brunswick St

Their Singapore noodles are also excellent and every six months or so I have a craving that only Viet Rose can satisfy (unless I am in the city or on Victoria St in Richmond). They’re usually relatively busy and this is a good sign of their popularity and the quality of the food. In comparison to Chopstick House a few doors down (which I tried once, was disappointed by and have never returned), Viet Rose is somewhere worth returning to.

viet4 dinner at Viet Rose on Brunswick St

dinner at Viet Rose on Brunswick St

10 thoughts on “dinner at Viet Rose on Brunswick St

• 20 January 2009 at 9:58 am

I used to love eating at Viet Rose, but I eventually realised I was getting an MSG reaction whenever I went there. It’s strange – I’m sure most other places load their food up with it too, but it’s only VR that affects me this way.

• 20 January 2009 at 11:10 am

I’m sensitive to that too and fortunately have not have that feeling at Viet Rose. Maybe it depends on what dishes you order, or we have different levels of sensitivity?

• 11 June 2009 at 4:45 am

DO NOT EVER EAT @ VIET ROSE!!!! I had their Black Bean Pepper Fish and it had a COCKROACH in it! Oh my god, I screamed!

If a roach managed to creep into the food, dear lord, how many are there all around their kitchen?????

Even before that incident, I’ve always thought Viet Rose must be the blandest Vietnamese restaurant ever… just don’t have any others around Brunswick Street.

We’ve now named it VIET ROACH!!!

• 11 June 2009 at 8:07 am

Did you read my recent post on food hygiene in Fitzroy? And did you make a complaint to council? I want to follow though on complaints like these and make sure they are investigated by council.

• 14 July 2009 at 12:20 pm

Yes this place is always busy however I have heard very bad things about the hygiene and cooking preperation at this restaurant…so I am not surprised about someone saying above that they found a cockroach in their food. Chopstick House next door is so much better and cheaper and you get real chicken breast fillet in your chicken dishes…that has to be a plus in my books.

• 14 July 2009 at 1:09 pm

I’ve been disappointed by Chopstick House, but maybe I should try it again. If only the council published the food hygiene information…

• 15 July 2009 at 10:27 am

Real chicken breast fillet anon? Real Chinese abhor chicken breast! Leave it to the whiteys I say!

• 15 July 2009 at 10:48 am

Replacing one absolutist statement with another? Perhaps you prefer thigh?

• 16 July 2009 at 9:21 am

In anon’s defence s/he did say “….in my books.” Let’s ask any Chinese to post here if they like breast fillet more than thigh. mmmm juicy thigh… I am just trying to start fights on your behalf :op

• 11 August 2009 at 9:03 am

Yes I did report it to the council via email but no follow through of course. I should’ve taken a picture of it.

It was so bad because I was just starting to get my bf eating viet food.. then that happened… set me back a few months hehe

For Viet food, nothing beats Richmond and Footscray. The latter suburb has new restaurants that are also clean.