I recently received a letter from the ANZ bank telling me that my term deposit was about to mature. It noted that my instructions were to have the principal sum and interest paid into my main account. It then went on to say that if they did not hear from me they would automatically reinvest the money for another term. WTF? This logical contradiction annoyed and concerned me. Anyone so stupid as to write this nonsense could not be trusted to manage my money.

I rang the bank on the customer service number printed on the letter. The employee I spoke to told me she could not help me. She put me through to the ‘solutions centre’. The employee I spoke to at the ‘solutions centre’ told me she could not help me and that I had to speak to the branch. I was put through to the branch, which was closed (it was after 5pm by this time). The branch answering machine asked me to leave a message and then warned me that they do not check their messages regularly. WTF? Who are these morons?

I searched the ANZ website and found a 1800 complaints number, which I rang. I explained the situation and made specific complaints about the illogical letter, the inept customer service and the retarded answering machine message. The solitary intelligent person at ANZ seems to work for the complaints number. She must be busy. She said she would send an urgent email to the branch manager about my account and sort it all out. I thanked her and we hung up.

15 minutes later I got a call from a woman at the branch. She confirmed that my original instructions would be followed and to disregard the letter. So why send it to me in the first place? And why write a letter that contradicts itself? She said she did not write the letter and therefore could do nothing about it.

Wrong, loser. You could acknowledge the problem rather than make excuses for your own inadequacy, treat the customer with respect, trace the source of the problem and FIX IT. Instead you let the complaints office do everything. Apart from the helpful woman at the complaints number, ANZ employees seem to be a league of morons. ANZ – you are on notice. If you waste my time again I will move my money elsewhere.

the ANZ bank – an anti customer service case study

35 thoughts on “the ANZ bank – an anti customer service case study

• 5 January 2009 at 1:03 pm

If your foot stomping rant here is any indication of the manner in which you approached the various people you spoke with, then I’m not surprised that no-one wanted to help you.
    Grow some manners and then try approaching customer service people again. Your time is not important than theirs.

• 5 January 2009 at 2:18 pm

Actually I started politely, but I think you miss the point. I pay them to provide me with a service. If they are too lazy or stupid to earn their fees then they will lose my business. Do you like having your time wasted?

• 5 January 2009 at 7:43 pm

Seems to me the point is more this: what are you going to do? Change to an equivalent service provider? 16bn of sector wide profit doesn’t suggest efficiency. Also, I have no idea of your financial position, but unless you are moderately well off they may lose nothing if you do choose to switch banks. Until you get to the mid-range, customers can be a break even proposition unless they are bad at paying off debts or get a home loan.

• 5 January 2009 at 8:42 pm

I’ve changed banks several times in my life due to repeated errors and, more importantly, the respective banks’ refusal to admit their mistakes and fix them. Westpac once decided to stop my supposedly automatic payments from my savings account to my VISA, leaving me stranded in Italy with no money (apart from traveller’s cheques I had to wait until business hours to cash) in the era before mobile phones and the internet. They lost my business just before I got a home loan. ANZ started off trying hard to provide good service but lately they have become indifferent. If they underestimate my financial worth that is their problem.

• 5 January 2009 at 10:38 pm

go with HSBC, they’ve the best customer service.

and a fee-free savings account

just dealt with incompetent idiots from TPG and Australian Air Express who was in charge of my modem delivery .. dont they know the customer is always right :p

like your blog btw!

• 5 January 2009 at 11:21 pm

Thanks! Agreed re HSBC – I have an account with them too. You’re taking a chance with TPG – their customer service is poor based on experience and also what is said at Whirlpool. Good luck!

• 6 January 2009 at 11:53 am

Don’t worry – they are all the same – it takes NAB 10 pieces of paper to roll over a term deposit and it is all incomprehensible.
    My solution has been to find someone on the counter staff at my branch who is customer focused and who returns calls and deals with the incomprehensible system. She evens rings treasury and gets me a higher interest rate on renewing a deposit and I am not telling anyone who she is.

• 7 January 2009 at 2:28 pm

@ the second cam: I once deposited money into my CBA account, the amount that went in was $50 under what i gave, the bank refused to give it back to me until i told them to close my account of $267.80 (no debts, no homeloan). the $50 then appeared.

not having a go, your post just reminded me of the situation

• 15 May 2009 at 8:01 pm

have you ever considered that the people who work for these organisations are controlled by management and guidelines and are simply doing their job? if banks are so terrible then hide your money under your mattress and stop whinging

• 15 May 2009 at 11:27 pm

How many bank shares do you own? Just doing your job is the default excuse for mediocrity. Customers pay fees to receive services, yet banks and other service providers seem to want to take fees without providing services. Not good enough.

• 25 July 2009 at 1:46 am

All the major banks such as NAB, CAB, and ANZ tend to have the worst customer service. They seem not to equip their customer service staff with some training. The most basic training is when there is problem, acknowledge it; instead, they pathetically say it’s not their problem and make no effort to help customers fix the problem. Very very poor attitude! The HR must be of the same material. I saw one manager who defiantly defended her staff’ mistake and blamed the customer instead. Tsk tsk tsk…

• 27 July 2009 at 9:03 am

Commercial banks now exist only to provide profits to their shareholders. Any factors which militate against this are discounted, such as time consuming and expensive things like service and training. I often think that if banks, utilities, and so on had to pay a levy according to the amount of stress and anger they generate in society because of call centre angst and bureaucratic stonewalling, their profits would be threatened and they might change tack.

• 19 September 2009 at 2:08 am

I agree. ANZ sucks.

Regards,

• 23 September 2009 at 5:46 pm

Monday 21 Sep 2009, ANZ transferred $102,500 to my solicitors trust a/c.
    Teller was given BOLD PRINTED Account details on solicitors letterhead which I made teller check TWICE!

Tuesday arrives but money does not. Check receipt….idiot has left out a dugit off the a/c no.!@#$%^

I fear our life savings have disappeared and we will suffer legal action because we no longer have enough funds to settle land purchase this Fri.

Attempt to ring branch-no answer- drive 30 km to bank and meet with what appears to be indifference to me, as a person who is highly distressed at a situation caused by negligence & incompetence. Person “in charge” has no idea how to fix…tries to contact her manager at another branch and other depts. without success…talk is of several days to complete several processes to find missing money.

I insist loudly that I will not be leaving branch without my money. I rang our solicitor who advised that there was no reason why they could not restore my money and sort their end later. Manager then decided he would resolve issue “now”-he had to hold while I spoke to solicitor.

After to & fro, officer decided to tell me that because digit was omitted, the remaing a/c no. would probably be invalid so it had probably not arrived in someone’s account.

NAB officer rang about hour later- they had the money and ensured it went to correct account.

My email to branch & ANZ complaints demanding apology for my unwarranted distress was met with some success. I got $35 refund in fess and $30 for travel costs.

I had paid the fees for “service” from 2 seperate ANZ officers, both of whom made errors. The manager had fixed the first error on Monday then the teller managed to stuff up her bit.

This is just the last in a long line of bank stuff ups over many years. Always one is left with the feeling that we had no right to complain. It was THEIR ERROR!@#$%^&*()_

Without my really angry behaviour, I doubt any money would have been found before settlement. It is unfair to be placed in that situation.

• 23 September 2009 at 5:59 pm

Agreed, the worst feeling is when they are stubborn and refuse to acknowledge their obvious mistakes. I hate all banks because of this, and I have had accounts with most of the Australian banks over the years. Trust = 0.

• 9 December 2009 at 5:14 pm

I worked some days at a creative agency to earn some cash for Xmas. Today ANZ emptied my account leaving me with .58c – due to an old credit card debt.

I’d organised with ANZ’s financial hardship department to pay back at least $5 per month if I could afford it, I couldn’t.

No lawyer will return my calls, I’ve been to a branch and asked for my money back, I’ve called twice to their legal team who don’t care know they’ve acquired their money back.

Merry Christmas ANZ.

• 20 April 2010 at 6:26 pm

I just stumbled across your site, having just had the worst service from ANZ. Thankfully I am not a customer (victim); I was just doing something for my Father. I worry that they are all as bad as each other. I agree with other posts: they often seem to have their best people in the complaints department, and often the poor front-line staff are the victims of the incompetence of overpaid senior management. That stupid Term Deposit letter in an eralier post is a good example. What I am finding is you can trust an individual; I try and bank locally – with one point of contact. This gets hard – as they then promote the good ones and move them elsewhere. Problems will occur; I just want confidence that I can talk to someone who can understand the problem, and organise a solution. I have such a contact at the moment – so feel really lucky … and if she moves banks I would go with her!

• 8 July 2010 at 9:47 pm

I worked for 2 of the big banks in the past and worked my fucking arse off being a ‘person like me’ who tried to get the best outcomes possible for ‘people like me’.
    I worked on service lines and I worked in branches.
    I busted my chops for years struggling against giant faceless mass corporations where we didn’t have a clue who drafted or wrote letters that were sent out let alone how on earth to have these changed when they caused our customers to be irate (at us).
    I was at the coalface where I was constantly abused for all things people hate about the banks until my customers realised I was a ‘person like me’ who went to great lengths to get favorable outcomes for people like them.
    I found private companies in different states thats serviced ATM’s we didn’t have control of to teach those companies what day the pensioners would be withdrawing their money so that people stopped abusing me for their money being retained due to empty machines.
    I took letters from the branch mail bag that were hand written by little old ladies and addressed to the “bank manager” that used to wind up in the bin. I actioned these beautifully hand written requests for ancient term deposits to be favorably reinvested.
    I stayed on after hours for no extra pay to make numerous phone calls to lending cells and other branches to locate long lost certificates of title that were used for mortgages at branches that were shut down decades ago.
    I patiently stood by the ATM with one of my regulars on a fortnightly basis as she drew out her sickness benefit because she was too paranoid to draw her money alone because she suffered a debilitating mental disorder.
    I did all of this and more because it was my job.
    I went above and beyond.
    I took ownership, I took abuse, all the while being under immense pressure to ‘make sales’
    Until I left because I couldn’t be the recipient of the abuse any longer and now there isn’t a ‘person like me’ in that bank anymore which is a shame.

• 26 August 2010 at 2:47 pm

Every dealing I have with ANZ ends in disaster and a frustration headache. Think I’ll keep my pay under the mattress forever.

BUT – what was I thinking – no one will give you cash any more – the banks take your money before you get it.

They S#*t me up the wall.

• 20 October 2010 at 10:41 am

My partner had been banking with ANZ for years and never had a problem. He them got his wallet stolen and had to close that account, and open a new one. One day his pay didn’t come through. We contacted the right people and were alway polite, believing it would get us further than if we got angry. That was 5 months ago. In the meantime we had a number of deposits go into the account. We never got an answer as to where our money was going and it was out of our hands. ANZ kept saying it’s coming it’s coming, but it never did. In the end they bank had lost $90,000 of our money and could not track it down. We had to get angry and threaten to go to the media to get any help at all. They found $71,000 of our money and told us they cannot get the rest. We are still fighting to this day. They need to realise they cannot bully and steal money from us. If I didn’t have to prove I can save in order to get a house loan, I would be stashing my money under my bed!

• 20 October 2010 at 2:40 pm

Don’t bother with the media. go straight to the OMBUDSMAN!

• 8 December 2011 at 2:05 pm

i’m having trouble with the complaints department,that one smart person must have left.my request to stop payment on an echeque was not adhered to and the bank transfered my money against my instructions,.now i cant get a satisfactory acknowledgement that they made a mistake.i’ve telephoned them 4 different times, got 4 different people with 3 different explanations ,all wrong i might add. none admitted that they made a mistake.i may be out of pocket approx.$3000. through their negligence.i’m currently going to shift my investments to another bank.no other bank could be as bad as the anz.

• 16 December 2011 at 10:44 am

it is obvious the anz bank do not take seriously complains against them.i lodged a complaint to their complaints section following up with an email outlining their negligence.no response . how can a business be run this way.? if this is an example of how they run their business then we should all be worried. i suggest shift to another bank.

• 20 December 2011 at 10:18 am

well finally got a reply from anz complaints. they denied responsibility ,blamed someone else.their going to pay though.immediately removed my investments and wont have future investments with them,if they can’t be honest,how can you continue banking with them .i’m also going to report them to the financial ombudsman.. warning to others stay away from them.they are a bunch of pricks.

• 13 March 2012 at 11:48 pm

My experiences today with ANZ show they have not changed – I put a complaint in and it was going nowhere so I contacted the CEO Office.
    Now I understand they demonstrated they can cease their own complaint process, tell you ‘to move on’ as they won’t reassess and don’t obviously care if they damage your credit rating for no fault of your own. We are a self funded over 50’s with investments – I and none of my investments will ever be ANZ related if I can help it. I was told ‘Absolutely OK to go to the media’. I will later in April.
    I put in my complaint to ther financial ombudsman today but doubt he can possibly change that sort of culture when it comes down from the top. I will stay with my existing bank but want my VEDA credit blemish removed by ANZ and a written apology.

• 2 April 2012 at 3:12 pm

I used to work at ANZ, and was made redundant in December 2011 ( i was very happy about it!). They really don’t care about their staff, and a work mate got in trouble for thanking other staff members for their help to complete a project on time. Yes this is true….

Therefore I am not surprised by the complaints seen here as the disrespect hey have for employees inevitably will flow through to the customer. I took great delight in closing my account that I had to open in order to get paid!

• 11 May 2012 at 9:42 am

After 20 years at the Collingwood branch, the last straw came by way of permanent staff with a total rude attitude. Shall be moving all my accounts due to the older woman (front right desk) at the Collingwood branch. This woman needs a boot!

• 12 May 2012 at 12:56 pm

Banks are only interested in two things:
    1. Large account holders ( I know this because a family member works for a bank)
    2. Sales, be they for, personal loans, credit card, mortgage, income protection and all manner of insurances.

How many times have you gone into a branch to seek help on and maintain an account only to get some emotive sales pitch like, “What would your family do tomorrow if you were to contract a fatal disease and die?” Yes this is an actual sales I received (in an effort to push insurance products) at the help-desk after walking into a branch to retrieve a jammed ATM card.

• 12 May 2012 at 4:17 pm

Moral to your story is not to retrieve but to leave ANZ card’s jammed wherever they are.

I was recently foolish enough to go into a Branch to evaluating if it was beneficial to change my Platinum Credit Cards over to ANZ. I found ANZ management are not interested in the over 50 self funded retired, even those with significant capital, no debt when assets are invested outside the ANZ bank. I was polite but did not like being abused over the phone for ANZ processing errors and incompetence. Whilst trying to complain about the bad ANZ customer service recieved I was arogantly told by a Melbourne Senior person, allegedly representing the Australian CEO and from his Office, “Move on” not interested in my business. The ANZ Head Office then blocked my complaint through its internal complaints and I was unable to talk with the Officer who agreed with me and was trying to help.
      I stayed with my current Bank and will never, never do any form of business in the future with ANZ.

• 22 July 2012 at 10:58 pm

Stacey and Dave you both have me worried with your stories, I had$3200 debited from my account by the anz 20 days ago and was told it was due to a PAY Any one i had done 2months earlier that didnt work. ( well i had to prove that i had paid it as the bsb given by the business i used was incorrect. ) i sent copies of my account which they could see, i was told to call the business and get it back that way – funny thing the business never got it either or raised a issue as i had paid it and got the goods. Raised a complaint i have to call the CSR who is always looking into it and still no out come. I may know in 2 weeks well that doesnt help my ANZ loan due next week. So if its not back in my account TUesday going to the Ombudsmon as I spoke tihw them last monday and they said would take it on. What is going on with the ANZ – if I didnt have a fixed interest rate on my loan I would be moving every thing out

• 13 November 2012 at 12:11 am

I can not believe how many stuff ups I have had at ANZ. They fixed my home loan without my approval, lodged my home loan nearly 4 weeks late resulting in 3 interest rate rises and yes they were fixed. Lately I have been fighting for lost interest on my accounts. The ANZ have calculated that they owe me $67,000 over an 8 year period and they admit it is their mistake. Problem is that they don’t think they can do anything about it. WTF. I feel you Brian. These guys are truly retarded. I am wondering who wipes there asses because I don’t think they have the capacity for it. I am now getting interest on my accounts but only half what I am supposed to get because they need my tax file number that I have sent them 5 times of which they have reply emailed me to let me know they have it. What ever shit you say about the ANZ is well founded Brian. I agree with you completely. F’n assholes. My investigation is still ongoing…

• 14 December 2012 at 3:04 pm

Mate you are typical of the winging customer!
    ANZ are bound by law to inform you in writing about your term deposit maturing.
    Wake up before it is too late!

• 14 December 2012 at 4:05 pm

Read the article moron – that’s not what they were doing.