tag why can't we be friends?

Photographed on the side wall outside Meet me at Mikes. Perhaps because taggers are talentless retards who don’t have the intellectual capacity to make art that demonstrates creativity and that communicates with other people, which for me is the fundamental distinction between tagging (vandalism with no artistic merit) and graffiti (arguably still vandalism but usually offering the audience something to think about).

Update 20 July 2008: the debate continues with another comment written on the wall above the tag. I have to agree – tags are meaningless because they communicate no coherent message to the reader.

tagcomment why can't we be friends?

why can’t we be friends?

5 thoughts on “why can’t we be friends?

• 4 June 2008 at 10:05 am

Did a double take when I came across this as I posted almost the same photo a few days ago! My take on it was much less academic, so it interesting to read someone elses thoughts…

• 5 June 2008 at 6:11 pm

Doesn’t tagging communicate something?

* I was here.
    * I own this.
    * I’m skilled enough to do this and not get caught.
    * I’m brave enough to take on the risk of getting caught.
    * I’m don’t care about mainstream aesthetics sensibilities.
    * I have no respect for “private property”.

Granted, these are not very important messages. Nor are they interesting. And there’s no evidence of talent, creativity, artistic merit etc. But, nonetheless, we have accept that they are communicating something.

Much like a corporate logo?

• 9 June 2008 at 4:19 am

Greg,

Tagging communicates merely that they’re fuckwits with a fat marker pen. That’s it, full stop. No further analysis required, absolutely zero intellectualising needed.

Thanks for asking though.

• 27 July 2008 at 10:33 pm

I’ve got a good one for you Brian, we pulled up in a taxi outside work last week and the back of my head (and the cab driver’s) was suddenly rent asunder by a tsunami of expletives from my lovely wife in the back seat. We’d been tagged! Our pristine white wall had been violated. The swearing continued as we negotiated the traffic crossing the road then, my head swirling with concerns about paint colour matching, the missus went strangely quiet, a pregnant pause as I caught up with her on the footpath, “It’s blood” she said simply. Sure enough, blood it was, my first reaction was “Ewwwww” then, quickly, “Yah!” as I realised that it’d wash off. Thus, with the liberal application of some soapy water, obviously while wearing rubber gloves, the offending swirly scrawl was gone. Leaving me to ponder the thoughts; Why? How? Where did the blood come from? Was it perhaps the work of Extremist Vegans making a political statement? Or a critically injured, socially disenfranchised tagger making one last angry, pointless swirly thing as his lifeblood ebbed away; his illiterate epitaph? Who knows? Who cares? It washed off, that’s the main thing ;-)

• 28 July 2008 at 12:37 am

Vegan extremists? Sounds like a scary concept. I’m very glad it could all be washed off!