The only really bad thing about living in Fitzroy is the herd animal mentality of the weekend visitors. Bogans from the suburbs come to the trendy drinking places and behave in moronic subhuman ways, vomiting in the streets, beating each other, vandalising property and cars and urinating in the street. They scream at each other, the police arrive and disperse the conflicting parties, and then everyone leaves. I don’t have a problem with venue noise, but screaming bogans outside your window at 2am is disgusting.

herd herd animals

herd animals

5 thoughts on “herd animals

• 13 January 2008 at 4:05 pm

Brunswick st is the new King st.

• 15 January 2008 at 1:36 pm

A super soaker filled with urine does the trick from a distance.

• 21 January 2008 at 7:56 pm

agreed, it’s a bogan-tastic extravaganza on the weekends! Incredibly stupid haircuts, three-alcopops-and-I’m-pissed-because-my-circulation-strangling jeans-are-pushing-all-the-alcohol-back-into-the-empty-space-beside-my-shrivelled-brain types staggering all over the place.

I blame the media.

Is it legal to carry cattle prods? I want one.

Can’t we just have Bogan detention camps in some far flung part of the country (NT?), where they’re despatched to after the authorities have logged 3-strikes-and-your-out bogan behaviour?

Part of their punishment could be tattooing the word “BOGAN” across their foreheads (in reverse), cleaning bogan vomit in the nearest city centre and studying images of non-girly hairstyles. Honestly, this metrosexual, bloke vanity mullarkey has gone tooooooooooo far. It’s ugly, man.

• 21 January 2008 at 11:39 pm

I think Bimbo has a lot to answer for, but then The Bullring used to attract its fair share of pissed up bogans, so I don’t know where the blame lies. The other night I sprung some filthy bastard deliberately pissing on the door handle of someone’s car. He bolted so quickly that I can only hope he gave himself a good dousing.

Even as I type this, a couple are yelling at each other on the bench next to Ministry Of Style. Barely a week passes without some 18yo girl tearfully shouting into her mobile phone over something her bastard boyfriend just did. There’s a feral couple who have had half-hour screaming matches outside our house for the past 3 summers – I seriously want to suggest to them that they face facts and get on with their lives separately. And what would Fitzroy be without the toothless shouty guy who drinks outside Grill’d with his little dog?

I’ve seen some ripper 2am fights in Idibidi’s outside area (maybe it reminds them of those old WWF cage matches?), once chased a prowler out of my front garden, and have bore witness to countless hit-and-run bingles, but the only time I’ve noticed any serious police presence was when they broke the Fuji Collective’s sensational impromptu street concert outside The Fitz a few weeks ago. The flashing lights drew every dickhead within cooee, and within 15 minutes there was biffo, pepper sprayings and arrests.

Ah Fitzroy. Sigh.

• 20 December 2008 at 6:01 pm

doesn’t have to be in the popular/trendy strips either. last night as i rounded a corner toward a row of faux-neo-georgian concrete butter-boxes in sleepy clifton hill, i could hear this girl _screaming_ half a conversation into her phone. it was about 11pm, all else was pin-drop silent & you could hear her from 100+m away. despite over a decade of hands-on experience so many people just don’t seem to realise that just because the person you’re talking to is stupid enough to be trying to have a ph conversation in a bar/club, doesn’t mean you need to scream as well. a hand cupped around the mic & your mouth does wonders for boosting hearability at the other end. stupidity and thoughtless usually come in the same package…